Accused of stealing a canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I keep an old aluminum Grumman canoe chained to a tree at a pond we own property on. Went for a paddle today, and a woman who lives nearby accused me of having stolen it from her. Apparently she also kept an aluminum Grumman on the same pond, and it disappeared about the time mine showed up. I told her that I had done many dreadful things during my life, but that so far stealing a canoe wasn't one of them. She was unconvinced. Things like this are making me more and more anti-social.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've not seen 'Southern Comfort' but I still agree :D

Have you got any proof of purchase, or pictures of the boat with you from before you were there or anything like that?

I hear what you're saying, I wonder if she's thinking the same thing about people :D good luck in sorting it all out

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Can you make a pre-emptive strike by lodging a statement at your local law enforcement office? Kind of saying that you have owned the item for a number of years and you feel that this other oerson is trying to make trouble by accusing you of having taken hers.

ATB

Ogri the trog

relfy

Nomad
I think Ogri has the best idea for convering your back. This does remind me of a couple of similar incidences I've had where I've later found out at the pub or from neighbours that the person is known for being a bit loopy. With one the week before it had been someone else's garden furniture she claimed etc. Another was a bit different and was an alcoholic. But with any luck you might find a similar thing if you go tell the police station.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I don't think anything will come of this, and if it does it won't be me that escalates it. I don't have any proof of purchase, its just a used canoe that I bought at a yard sale a few years ago specifically to keep chained to a tree out there. The situation is just a disappointment because I work hard to keep on good terms with neighbors. The accusation caught me off-guard and it might be a while before canoeing out there brings me pleasure again.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Dude on your blog entry dated Oct 2008 there is a picture of a Gruman canoe,could you use this as proof that you had yours before hers dissapeared ?

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Marcus, you should be a detective ;)

I don't think she'll go to the police, or that they'll take her seriously if she does. I'll worry about it if it happens. Several friends have been in that canoe, and could verify that I've had it a long time. In our legal system, the burden of proof is on her, not me, and she has no evidence, only a suspicion.

It just bothers me is that this memory will detract from the tranquil pleasure that pond has brought me in the past.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
neiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighbours - EVERYBODY NEEDS GOOD NEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHBOURS

Just a friendly wave each morning, help you ahve a better daaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

NEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHBOURS - should be there for one another!

That's when good NEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHBOURS become gooooooooooooood frieeeennnnnndddssss.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Tell her to F.R.O the old bat, if you didnt nick it dont worry innocent untill proven guilty eh, id have said "Yeah what ever, its mine i bought it now go forth and multiply" if i hadnt nicked it, and not give it a second thought...

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
How much is the canoe worth against the enjoyment of the pond? Maybe there's a way round this and keep the peace. Who knows, an offer to share could bring dividends, or maybe she needs a hand around the place. She could be a friend in disguise - an ally. Life's just too bloody short to harbour bad feelings - but then it ain't my canoe. Anyway - it's just my thoughts. Good luck.

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have to agree with JP here. Why on earth would you bother to take the time and effort to defend yourself of something you didn't do? She accuse you from stealing, let her proof it's her canoe. Even in the US the burden of proof is with those who make a claim, isn't it?

Hope you had a nice day out nonetheless :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It just bothers me is that this memory will detract from the tranquil pleasure that pond has brought me in the past.

I agree with others who say that there's no point beating yourself up about it. Again as others have said I've known people who have had a habit of making accusations, one of them being my wife's grandmother who when her health started to go downhill would often say that something or other had been stolen from her even though we knew it not to be the case. Apparently it's a very common thing. Just before the end of her life she didn't even recognize her own children.

This might be a cause for concern about the lady's health, and perhaps a few roundabout enquiries locally might answer the question and possibly help her out -- even if she doesn't want the help, which I think will most likely be the case even from her closest friends and family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE