Academic Balls of Steel...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Submitting a paper for a periodical.

"No, not the one I did at the Conference...that was a bit of fun, and I am not sure I can do justice to the subject...I really don't want you thinking I am a chump...How about I write a paper on something that I do know well and am confident I can do a good job with??"

<Shakes head> "What do you mean you want me to do one based on my conference paper (The one I only did half of as I was last on and you ran out of time?) Oh ho..."

What do I say?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
....you want this degree ?
You have to work for it, and sometimes that really is out of your comfort zone.

Look on it as something fun to learn and to explain to other folks who haven't done that work.

M

Reactions: TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This is not part of the course this is extra curricular stuff...but developing an Academic reputation...naturally I want to do a good job.

I could, of course, explain it isnt a speciality, merely something I picked up at random

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There you go then. Go forth and make yourself, if not an expert on this subject, then at the least very well versed in it.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Been there, done that, it hurts to get your first peer review.

My PhD Viva was a real test, I had a sympathetic external examiner, who I had chosen who was familiar with my work, but the internal examiner came from a completely different perspective. What I have learned along the way is that concepts that I thought were simple and were too universally understood to need explaining, really do need explaining because your readers are not mind readers.

Reactions: Toddy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If you haven't experienced it already, you are likely to at some point encounter "imposter syndrome" where you feel that everyone else is so much more knowlegable than you are, and you wonder how it is you are even studying the same subject they are. Thing is, they are all feeling that too.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sounds like you've already got a starting point to build on and someone to bounce ideas off/check the sanity of your argument with, so I'd say go for it!

But since you've just started your PG course, make sure you make time for both!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE