about a broadhead not complete arrow

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
just a question which has been puzzling me really. can a broadhead arrowhead if made of steel be construed as a fixed blade knife? like the eezee ah1 for example. am not talking about it being fixed to a shaft but just the thing as it is?

not sure what your asking but if its to do with carrying in public legally then yes it would be covered By S139

this law covers all Sharply pointed or Bladed articles

these need a specific Reason to carry in public (unless on the Offensive weapons list when you cant at all)

the only exemption to this is a Folding pocket knife Sub 3" cutting edge non locking which can be carried with out specific reason

there is no specific mention of Fixed blades at all and the only exception is a knife as above

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Under S139a CJA I believe any sharp arrowhead would fall under the legislation if in a public place (being an article which is sharply pointed)

Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below,

any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.
(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(5)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

(c)as part of any national costume.

Edit - Duncan beat me to it!

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
cheers guys I thought it would come under the knife ruling I hadn't considered sharply pointed just sharply edged. thank you GB

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
So if you're sub 3 inch non locking knife's blade brakes off while you're in a public place, the blade suddenly becomes illegal:confused:

cheers guys I thought it would come under the knife ruling I hadn't considered sharply pointed just sharply edged. thank you GB

there is no Knife ruling

its a law against pointed and bladed article of all and any type

the only exemption is a knife

so theoretically you cant carry a sharpened pencil just incase you may need to write some thing

But you can carry a un sharpened pencil and a folding pocket knife to sharpen it when needed

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
there is no Knife ruling

its a law against pointed and bladed article of all and any type

the only exemption is a knife

so theoretically you cant carry a sharpened pencil just incase you may need to write some thing

But you can carry a un sharpened pencil and a folding pocket knife to sharpen it when needed

When does the law deem that blunt becomes sharp?

So if you're sub 3 inch non locking knife's blade brakes off while you're in a public place, the blade suddenly becomes illegal:confused:

No Not illegal its your having it in public thats illegal or not and proving reason to

Technically but your using it (knives don't just snap in your pocket) so would have good reason ;)

it should be acceptable that your pocket knife snapped and your now transporting the fixed blade for disposal

When does the law deem that blunt becomes sharp?

when the judge says so English law is written to have interpretation at all levels which is the best and worst part of it

So CPS etc has decided that a screwdriver tho has what we cal la blade does not come under S139

BUY a butter knife that has no point and not what any body would call a cutting edge Does

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
For a thing to be bladed it must also be handled. In other words a blade on its own is not a bladed item. This would probably be questioned in regards to a knife blade although I suggest that the logic is correct. However, it should apply to an arrowhead without a shaft or indeed a broken folding legal length penknife.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
seeing as hunting with broardheads is illegal I doubt you'd be able to find good reason to carry them

.....asside from medieval reenactment I suppose

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Broadheads can make nice neck knives. I'm not into neckers but have seen some tidy examples made from old two bladers.
Using an antler tine for the handle is the way to go. The taper's part-way there already and it's stronger than wood taken down so thin.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Sorry, didn't read the post properly.

Folk already make what you're thinking of. Stick "broadhead knife" into google images.
They don't look like either good knives or good broadheads though.

With thon neck knives I mentioned it'd be a case of heating the blade if you wanted it back for mounting on an arrow again. The glue would fail and it'd pop right off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE