A year of hobo making!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
After meeting Wayland and reading his first post on the old hobo stove, ive made a few of the fellas, this is #4 and I think Ive cracked it. It started life as an Ikea drainer and I just cut a hole in the side for wood and traingia/simmer ring entry.

Thought id do a run down of the set up.
You start off by raising it off the ground with 3 rounded scewer handles pushed into the ground.

Next fix the hobo to the three scewers with a forth bent scewer, through the base like this.

Then I set it up for cooking off a trangia. Its sat on a sweets tin to get the heat near the pot.When packed away the upturned tin holds the three scewers and tree pot risers, and trangia. in the base of the hobo.
There are two scewers through to hold your pot/cup, and the risers to allow air/gas flow when using a bigger pot or fry pan. I like this idea as they cant go anywhere and no more drilling was nessesary. Plus they weigh little, take no space and dont block heat.

This is the space saver cup, which fits inside nice. Thinking of further work using this wilco ss container with a cracking lid (which also fit the cup) as a simple billy. cup will have to go on the bottom of the sigg/nagene though, but a 10cm zebra and the cup shown will fit together inside the hobo.

All packed away with brew kit for 2-3 days inside cup, away from smelly meths stuff, lids go as you would guess, and it all fits in a touser leg bag.

Cheers to Wayland for the Idea in the first place, and others who have given help.:You_Rock_

Addo.:)

Edit There is also a clickstand windshield, cut up and placed on the inside and is held there by friction, it works very well in the wind, and is adustable in height and direction.
I really do hope this is the end of the design now as I think my wife has had enough what with this and all the other projects on the go!

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Addo,

That is a brilliant stove and dare I say it, better than Wayland's, (sorry Wayland).
Any chance that you can tell us where you can get the supplies from and a bit more of a construction plan?

Nice meeting you at the Moot by the way.

Craeg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Addo,

That is a brilliant stove and dare I say it, better than Wayland's, (sorry Wayland).
Any chance that you can tell us where you can get the supplies from and a bit more of a construction plan?

Craeg

I have no problem with that. :)

One of the things that I have been really thrilled about since posting up my stove is how many people have taken the ball and run with it.

I've seen ideas and modifications that really personalize these little stoves in ways that I never even thought of.

I like the invertible tray on this one to stand the meths stove on for example.

Some day I'll have to make another one to incorporate some of the ideas I've seen on the forum and in the flesh at meets and moots.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive got the exact same strainer which I used at the bushmoot. I remember you telling my there to peg it into the ground Addo. At least I think it was you!
Ok, Im going to see how I can improve it on using scavenged junk from cheap shops (well it wouldnt be a hobo stove with something expensive done to it!)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Addo,

Craeg

Woh there, thanks for the comments, but wayland is still king. Nice to meet you too.:)

The strainer for the stove is from Ikea, a couple of quid, and the Hole was cut by using a hand held angle grinder 4" disc I think, You can pick these up cheap from any power tool outlet, or try a hacksaw :lmao: I didnt drill the corners as I joined up the holes already there.

All the supports for the pots, and for raising above the ground, are scewers mainly the flat type with the finger hole on the end. Any supermarket, mine were from morisons. Just bend into shape with two pairs of pliers, mole grips or pipe wrench.

The cup is an American one called a space saver, and holds a pint. about $6 off ebay, plus £15 postage aprox. I know its not cheap but I wanted one.
The current lid was made by Warthog for the crusader mug, I just re-shaped it, goin to re-rivet the handle to the lid off the ss can from wilcos.
The pot is a 2 pint/1 litre ish Wynster pot and pan set £10 from Springfields. ( They do 2 larger sizes as well which all stack into each other.) They have a copper paint on the bottom. There are other makes similar.

Thats about it rearly, you can get trangia or similar make burners from all over the place, I would like to make a lighter one from a pop can, that still alows you to use the simmer ring.

Hope that helps, Addo.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive got the exact same strainer which I used at the bushmoot. I remember you telling my there to peg it into the ground Addo. At least I think it was you!
Ok, Im going to see how I can improve it on using scavenged junk from cheap shops (well it wouldnt be a hobo stove with something expensive done to it!)

Go for ya life its great fun, shoppings never the same when it comes to shiney bits in a kitchen dept!:D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yeah I know, today I saw some small metal cans with a triangle cut out of the centre and a removable lid. they had fluffy teddy bears in them, only £1 but all I saw was a perfect candle lantern. It only needs the teddy pulled out and a hook put on top.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I like the little curved pot risers but could you add a flat extension to remove the need for the skewers to hold up the billy? I know you'd lose the ability to put the skewers at different heights but you'd gain by having one thing to do two jobs. perhaps have two pot risers of different lengths - they'd be far shorter than skewers and easier to carry. Dunno. Just a thought.

I'm building one of my own atm and I'll try my suggestion and post pictures when done. I do like the idea of the swet tin for use with the trangia burner - I'll be using that.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The skewers do allow for airflow underneath, so they are quite handy. They worked in the sand at MM, I can see them being very stable in proper earth. Addos' hobo burned much better than mine due to the increased airflow. Mine will be getting a few modifications.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I like the little curved pot risers but could you add a flat extension to remove the need for the skewers to hold up the billy? I know you'd lose the ability to put the skewers at different heights but you'd gain by having one thing to do two jobs. perhaps have two pot risers of different lengths - they'd be far shorter than skewers and easier to carry. Dunno. Just a thought.

I'm building one of my own atm and I'll try my suggestion and post pictures when done. I do like the idea of the swet tin for use with the trangia burner - I'll be using that.

I like that a lot, will give it a go. Cheers. Most of the time the pot is at the same height anyway, I just feed the wood in at certain intervals or with trangia raise the burner. Pot needs to be lower for charcoal, but the coals can burn on the upturned sweety tin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE