A working day in snowy woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Beautiful still day temperatures due to rise to -1. Just about perfect for some strenuous activity.

Nobody else drove in up the steep(ish) hill for some reason, its a 1st gear slope in dry conditions.

ST1.jpg

Foot & cycle tracks from the day before & an overnight fox

ST2.jpg

Resident at the meeting point recognises my Land Rover. 'I will pose for food' deal I think I was the 1st customer it was almost pecking my toe.

ST3.jpg

I met the other volunteers & we started coppicing an area of thicket type regrowth under standards.

ST4.jpg

A Chainsaw is perfect for spoiling the peace & quiet. I did attract another 4 Robbins I make the best wild boar substitute for miles. There was some dispute other the emerging clearing. Not everything is as solid as it looks. I took the hollow end home it might make a nest box or something.

ST5.jpg

Logs are extracted (by hand) to the track edge. The brash is burned & some left for habitat piles. It makes for a large fire.

ST6.jpg

The burn area is smaller than the whole pile. The ash bed looks big enough to do 1000 jacket spuds at once. The burnt ends around the outside look like they have been very carefully stacked.

ST7.jpg

near the end of the day there is enough space between the trees to see the woods. There should be good ground flora later on & for years to come.

ST8.jpg

This sapling had a narrow escape last year in the neighboring plot. I just spotted a leaf in time not to clip it off at the base

ST9.jpg

or mid October 2011

ST91.jpg

A very good day out. If only I could get paid for this kind of thing. It was so nice even the warden joined in for the afternoon. He does get paid but also has to do the paperwork.

Mike

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Very jealous , of all that snow and of the joy of being out
on such a glorious day.
We have almost no snow and I'm stuck indoors!
BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
:sulkoff:
Simon

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
It's days like the one that you have had, that i'm glad i quit my indoor job 3 years ago and became a tree surgeon!
Welcome to the wonderfull world of working outdoors!!! Perfect!!!
Thanks for sharing!!

RM

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Don't knock yourselves Everybody except me & the warden are past retirement age.As this is done for conservation we chainsaw jockeys cut things to manageable sizes, the thicker the tree the shorter we cut. As there were 4 people dragging & stacking they could keep up without any undue strain. The kettle boils very quickly as well. I have seen this referred to as a 'Green gym'. Not for everyone of course but is keeps me fit(er) than my desk job.

I day like yesterday is the perfect antidote for a hard week at the desk.

Mike

Edit can anyone ID the sapling in the last 2 pictures/?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Far to much paper work doing conservation work! Endless h&s stuff, planning for events, budgets, grant applications etc but sometimes you get to do the fund stuff :)

Looks like a great day. Struggling to see what the saplings are in your pic sorry.

Orric

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nawt like a bit of rewarding work in the woods, hot brew and good company. Cant beat it.

I know what you mean about chainsaws they really do spoil the moment but a necessary evil with limited man-power :(

DomBrister

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Morton
would love to be able to take a group of kids to a local woodland and help a ranger... use it as a "green gym", and show that there are jobs out there tha can be fun... might try and find my local ranger.... and see if they can do a half day at least... anyone know anyone around the Stamford/Bourne area of lincolnshire?

greensurfingbear

would love to be able to take a group of kids to a local woodland and help a ranger... use it as a "green gym", and show that there are jobs out there tha can be fun... might try and find my local ranger.... and see if they can do a half day at least... anyone know anyone around the Stamford/Bourne area of lincolnshire?

Contact the Local councils Ranger service if they have one. Failing that wildlife trusts, woodland trusts, RSPB, National Trust all have wardens, rangers or estate teams that might be willing to help.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff fella, I also do this kind of work with the Rangers in Derbyshire. Very rewarding. I tend to help with the climbing work shaping the hight and direction of the woodland edges, and on easyier days just straight fells.

Is the Sapling Wild service tree?

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Yes its a Wild service tree Sorbus torminalis. This one seems to have self seeded in a drainage channel. I had a good look around & could not find another it could have suckered from the roots of. No one knew it was there until I felled everything around it last season. ( Very nearly took this one down as well)

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE