A woody sheath commission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
A private commission for another member here, which I've just finished, to go alongside the laplander sheath I made a few weeks ago.

Hand made, from 3.5mm veg-tan, hand tooled geometric pattern, inspired by one I saw on a Sami sheath, dyed with Fiebings mahogany antique stain and waxed with carnauba cream. Solid brass loop, with two poppers on the belt loop to allow for quick fitting to a belt.

sheath_08.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Is this for sale or are you taking commissions, if so how much?

I'd echo the 'policy' of some of the other sheath makers on here that commissions for sheaths can be difficult, particularly for non-standard knives. Sheaths are made to fit the knife, so the sheath maker needs the knife in question. Not a problem for a standard knife, as the maker probably has one to use as a pattern, but if the knife owner has to post the knife to the maker then we get potential problems with lost in the post, insurance, etc., and the owner has to trust the maker to look after the knife. Not a problem for the reputable makers on here but, even so, you have to have a good deal of trust to send your prized knife to someone you've never met.

For myself, therefore, I'd generaly stick to making sheaths for standard knives /saws (e.g. clippers and woody clones, laplanders) and, rather than do explicit commissions, I'd make a sheath that could still be sold on if the requester decided not to take it (i.e. I wouldn't generally put initials on). Having said that, I'm happy to do a 'commission' in as much as if someone wants a particular pattern, I'll make a sheath and give them first refusal on it.

A handmade sheath like this is going to be going for something like £35 - there's a lot of time goes into it. There was a recent thread on these lines and you can definitely make one for less than this yourself, but setting yourself up to do leatherwork is going to cost you in tools and materials - plus time in learning how do do it well. Makers on here have also generally served a decent 'apprenticeship', during which time they've likely made stuff that goes to waste, e.g. because of mistakes made during learning, that has to be either thrown or given away. It's all a balance between how you value your own time and money.

Hope that doesn't all sound too negative! :)

PM me if you're interested in one. This one is hopefuly being picked up by the new owner this evening, so I'm ready to move onto the next project.

Geoff

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd echo the 'policy' of some of the other sheath makers on here that commissions for sheaths can be difficult, particularly for non-standard knives. Sheaths are made to fit the knife, so the sheath maker needs the knife in question. Not a problem for a standard knife, as the maker probably has one to use as a pattern, but if the knife owner has to post the knife to the maker then we get potential problems with lost in the post, insurance, etc., and the owner has to trust the maker to look after the knife. Not a problem for the reputable makers on here but, even so, you have to have a good deal of trust to send your prized knife to someone you've never met.

For myself, therefore, I'd generaly stick to making sheaths for standard knives /saws (e.g. clippers and woody clones, laplanders) and, rather than do explicit commissions, I'd make a sheath that could still be sold on if the requester decided not to take it (i.e. I wouldn't generally put initials on). Having said that, I'm happy to do a 'commission' in as much as if someone wants a particular pattern, I'll make a sheath and give them first refusal on it.

A handmade sheath like this is going to be going for something like £35 - there's a lot of time goes into it. There was a recent thread on these lines and you can definitely make one for less than this yourself, but setting yourself up to do leatherwork is going to cost you in tools and materials - plus time in learning how do do it well. Makers on here have also generally served a decent 'apprenticeship', during which time they've likely made stuff that goes to waste, e.g. because of mistakes made during learning, that has to be either thrown or given away. It's all a balance between how you value your own time and money.

Hope that doesn't all sound too negative! :)

PM me if you're interested in one. This one is hopefuly being picked up by the new owner this evening, so I'm ready to move onto the next project.

Geoff

I think you've summed up the various dilemma's we face as makers very nicely there Geoff:35:

I've been "gonked" a couple of times with "commissions" myself:nono:

Very nice work by the way;)
Another £10 on something like that, wouldn't be over the top for a custom job.

all the best

Steve

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Just wanted to say that I am well happy with Toadflax's work. The sheath is great well made and looks stunning.

Below is a pic of the other leather work i have had from him.
IMAG0055.jpg

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That is a nice sheath.

I have to say I enjoy making for most people but you do dispair when people think that custom made goods of English materials will go for China made eBay prices. Somebody agreed to pay me for materials when making a knife but not the £20 for my time on tha handle and sheath.....:confused:

You price, considering the work you have put in is low - as they almost all are on this forum.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I would totaly agree with that Dougster, anyone can knock up a ropey looking glued sheath but to put that much effort in and to get such a high quality end result takes skill and normally you have to pay through the nose for skill lol. Good to see people value your work mate keep up the good work!

Dave

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Looks like I really opened a bag of worms here! I only asked because I was surprised to see it in makers sales without a price or offer of trade and asked the price of a commission because I will be looking for a sheath soon.
For the work involved the price makers charge on here it sometimes feels like a robbery I agree!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE