A woodsmans lunch!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had a great day out yesterday, a simple walk from my home to my local woods, via some local farm land.
I carried an onion and some locally produced lamb sausages. Along the way I came across some beefsteak fungus, shaggy parasols, sorrel, chickweed and lots of young cleavers.
Apon my arrival in the woods I got a small hunters fire going with the aid of some birch bark and a spark. Once a had some good embers I set the sausages onto a small wire grill.
While they cooked, I fashioned a small chopping board and sliced the onions and fungi. I put my pan over the heat with a little oil and tossed in the onions & fungi to sweat, while these cooked I washed the greens, rough-chopped them and sliced the now cooked sausages.
A put in all of this into the pan with a little seasoning (black pepper & chilli powder), and cooked it stir-fry style, hot and quick.
It was deliciuos! and well worth the effort.
I washed it all down with some Penny-Royal Tea.
I 've put the pictures up in my gallery, if you wan't a look.
The message is - it's a great time of year to get out & about, when you are off next - get out there, take a few basic ingredients and see what you can create.
Neil :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
sounds brilliant.. i love to take the time to cook up a proper hot meal when im out.. even if i bring some of the ingredients with me from home.. its a very rewarding process!

i must work on my mushroom lore!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Its all in your perspective Chris - the other half was'nt damaged - just pre-tenderised :eek:
What mushrooms did you find Chris?
Tomtom, cooking fresh in the field is the only way to go when time & conditions allow - to produce a meal out of doors ends up encompassing so many skills, firelighting, knife skills, carving, water collection, plant ID, field hygiene -the list goes on and on. All of this contributes to a confident, self reliant woodsman, of the type exemplified by Sears and Kephart or thier modern counterparts.
Neil

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Neil1 said:
Its all in your perspective Chris - the other half was'nt damaged - just pre-tenderised :eek:
What mushrooms did you find Chris?
Only field mushrooms... my fungus ID isn't what it might be. I was very glad I'd brought a little bottle of oil with me - thanks Dave for the tip ;)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Fat is hard to come by in the bush, so are carbs, so I normally carry a little oil in a Nalgene bottle and flour, rice, noodles, cous-cous,etc. I also have a range of spices in a pill-container (see picture). You don't need a lot, it wieghs a few grams and makes life a whole lot more comfortable. :)
Neil

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Neil1 said:
I had a great day out yesterday, a simple walk from my home to my local woods, via some local farm land.
I carried an onion and some locally produced lamb sausages. Along the way I came across some beefsteak fungus, shaggy parasols, sorrel, chickweed and lots of young cleavers.
Apon my arrival in the woods I got a small hunters fire going with the aid of some birch bark and a spark. Once a had some good embers I set the sausages onto a small wire grill.
While they cooked, I fashioned a small chopping board and sliced the onions and fungi. I put my pan over the heat with a little oil and tossed in the onions & fungi to sweat, while these cooked I washed the greens, rough-chopped them and sliced the now cooked sausages.
A put in all of this into the pan with a little seasoning (black pepper & chilli powder), and cooked it stir-fry style, hot and quick.
It was deliciuos! and well worth the effort.
I washed it all down with some Penny-Royal Tea.
I 've put the pictures up in my gallery, if you wan't a look.
The message is - it's a great time of year to get out & about, when you are off next - get out there, take a few basic ingredients and see what you can create.
Neil :D

ok how do i find your gallery??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE