A WK Froe

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Got asked to make an 8" Froe with a 1" eye the other day from someone on the Association of Pole Lathe & Greenwood Workers (Bodgers) Website. Thought you might like a gander :red:.
If he doesn't come back with his address soon it may well be going out on a passaround on here to test it as I hadn't made one before ;):lmao:

8inchFroe.jpg

8inchFroe2.jpg

8inchFroeeye.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Fantastic! You know I was just looking at different froes, and wondering if any one here had made them, well once my pocket money builds up again i may well come calling matey!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
whats it for Kev ?

Yo Robbi, stick a pole in the handle with the blade edge down and the handle up, then knock the blade into the wood you want to split and use the handle to keep the split going the way you want by pushing away or towards your self as the you knock the blade down,

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Yo Robbi, stick a pole in the handle with the blade edge down and the handle up, then knock the blade into the wood you want to split and use the handle to keep the split going the way you want by pushing away or towards your self as the you knock the blade down,
Couldn't have said it better.
I'd have just said for splitting logs, etc :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I use froes alot and I wouldn't ever make one from mild, they have a habit of bending or twisting in use (mind, I don't do thin poles that often so it may be ok there?). I'm guessing its not mild, or you plan on light use? I've seen lots made from the end of leaf springs because they already have an eye on them. ugly and clunky but the do work

They are one of those tools that are easy enough to make, but to make one that works nicely and looks nice is a PITA. Not one of my favourite tools to make :rolleyes: but I do like using them

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
When you say blade it is worth noting that it should not be sharp (more of a wedge) it should prise the wood apart not cut it.

To quote Mike Abbott

"The single most important process used in green woodwork is an operation known as cleaving. To cleave a log is to prise apart its fibres while the wood is still fresh. Cleft wood follows the flow of the fibres. Cleft wood compared to planked wood is like spring-steel compared to cast iron."

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I like Froes they are perfect at doing the job they are designed for i have used one to help make cedar shingles for a barn roof Great fun and you get to wield a comedy giant mallet

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Cool.I just love using these tools.Great fun.As to what type of metal they are made of..I have one by Ashley illes, thats high carbon steel.The other three(!) that i own are made from wrought iron about 3/8ths thick and must be about 100 years old!.Never had any issues with bending.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I'd like a play. I reckon I'd really put it through its paces.

Andy
Got someone wanting a play on The Polelathe and Green woodworkers site wanting it. then I'll get it sent to you :)

Lets start a list

Usual rules dudes and dudettes, If you hurt yourself....your fault, must be over 18 etc

Copy the list and add your name on the end if you want to play
you just pay to pass it on to the next person on the list who will PM you their address (please don't post it here - too many prawns watching)
Last person sends it back to me (even if demolished)

1. Everything Mac

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE