A Winterval Day Out

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I thought I'd share a few pics of a day out we had on our winterval holiday.

It was the first trip out for my new knife and sheath.

iphoneDec11045.jpg

A closer look at LuckyLee's lovely leatherwork.

iphoneDec11048.jpg

We had a mess about with some birch bark and a ferro rod.

iphoneDec11044.jpg

iphoneDec11024.jpg

We loved this one of our Owen. We call it 'Gandalf - The Early Years' :D

iphoneDec11029.jpg

Sat down for a brew and took some shiny sharps pics. Blackbird SK-5.

iphoneDec11013.jpg

iphoneDec11016.jpg

iphoneDec11014.jpg

Got the kids back and scrubbed the mud off while Mum made tea.

iphoneDec11049.jpg

Once they were tucked in bed I made on a start on a new bottle.

iphoneDec11053.jpg

Thanks for looking. All the best for 2012 everyone!!

Cheers
Sean

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks folks.

Ron I think it's a scout although I seem to remember the tag 'Childrens Woodcarving Knife' as well. It's a mora anyways! :). He's getting quite good with it now and he's very sensible. He asks permission to unsheath it so I can keep an eye on him using it. He's done a few tent pegs but mostly he likes sharpening sticks to use as spears so he can stalk through the undergrowth 'hunting' :)
If anyone's got any suggestions for simple woodcarving projects for him whilst we're out and about I'd be glad to hear them.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Great pics Sean , the wanes looked like they had a good time .. what kind of jacket is that your waring , it looks the part , happy new year bud ..

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Great pics Sean , the wanes looked like they had a good time .. what kind of jacket is that your waring , it looks the part , happy new year bud ..

Thanks mate.

The jacket is a Ridgeline Monsoon II. It's a pullover one very similar to the Swazi Tahr except this one only costs 100 quid. It's very comfortable and weather proof but it would be a bit too thick and heavy for the warmer months. That's when my trusty BCUK ventile jacket comes into its own :)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Haha it's the Prawnster Kit Parade! :)

Yes mate Toggi Columbus. Great for mooching about in the mud and paddling the canoe, more comfortable than wellies. Not for walking any distance though, my feet move about in them a bit.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Bit anal really spotting them but I have a pair from when I worked for toggi. Still get them cheap as the wife is still with them.

Been looking at the monsoon. How do you rate it?

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
For the money it's got to be one of the best value jackets around for what we do.
I've never had a smock type coat before but it is very comfortable not having a full length zip down your front. The hood is well designed, as are the neoprene cuffs. There's a pocket for binos, another big chest pocket I put tinder in and there's two hand warmer pockets.
The long length protects your upper legs so you don't have to wear waterproof trousers as long you don't mind getting wet lower down (I don't).

I'd definitely recommend it for the cool and wet months here in the UK. (almost all year then).

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks folks.

Ron I think it's a scout although I seem to remember the tag 'Childrens Woodcarving Knife' as well. It's a mora anyways! :). He's getting quite good with it now and he's very sensible. He asks permission to unsheath it so I can keep an eye on him using it. He's done a few tent pegs but mostly he likes sharpening sticks to use as spears so he can stalk through the undergrowth 'hunting' :)
If anyone's got any suggestions for simple woodcarving projects for him whilst we're out and about I'd be glad to hear them.

I let my kids start with sharpening a stick, too. Then I went to debarking sticks. After that I gave them sticks to debark without damaging the stick and work around uneven parts, like branches, knobs and such. This way my kids learned to use different pressurelevels and working in nonstraight lines.
Now I am teaching them the difference between working with and without gloves and coming summer it will be batoning, hooks etc...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull

How about Figure 4 traps, it'll teach him how to make stop cuts and notching plus nice and simple. Sounds like he likes 'Hunting' get him to expand his repetoire to 'Trapping' too :D.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE