A Winter Noggin

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
this is a follow on from reds "isn't winter great" thread to be honest-

I like to carve things, spoons, bowls,cups, small sculptures etc. I picked up a likely looking bit of birch a couple of days ago, it had been twined by honeysuckle when it was a sapling and the tree had grown over the top of the vine, resulting in a twisted lump. the powerline people had chucked this to the side last march, after totally devastating a cracking, birch, oak and alder thicket beneath the wires (500m long by 50 m wide :banghead: ) with a shredder thing with tracks and chain flails either end. They took the whole lot down to the bare soil but had to take out anything bigger than about 125mm with a chainsaw first.
Anyway:
a couple of days worth of axe, crooked knife and sanding and you end up with this:
PB210010.jpg

PB210006.jpg

PB210002.jpg

I'm not into making the wood do anything it doesn't want to , hence the well wonky shape.Once the axe work is done, I come inside again.I love to sit on the floor, cross legged and set to with my home made crooks and see what turns out.
actually these pics are poo! just cant seem to get it right yet.

never mind I'm sure you get the idea.
Kind regards
R.B.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
good stuff i might even have a go myself later and try and save the £25 they want for a kuksa on the christmas market in manchester.

Greg

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I love that RB really nice, I like the detail on the top of the handle.

Simon.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not bad mate - for someone who hums with a Geordie accent!
No honestly - I like it!
Must try one of those myself.
John Crusoe

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love the Wonkiness :) The natural lines make it unique and very beautiful - much nicer than a formula piece.

Love it!

Red

rancid badger

Lovely bit of work RB.I like the organic shape.

Had the wood dried out? If so,how hard was it to carve?

Thanks again everyone.

Well now, the log it came from had been down since about march last but the piece I actually used was in the middle, with about 60cm either side(2ft) it was lying on the ground in a fairly damp spot.
It wasn't as easy as a freshly dropped piece but it wasn't difficult.
the only bother I had was occasionally going against the grain when I wasn't expecting it. It's not a major problem, just stop trying to cut and then change direction. Of course it does help if your tools are sharp.

I took a photo of the log itself ( I know!) but I cant remember which file it's in. I'll have a look and post it if I can find it.

Cheers everyone
R.B.:eek:

rancid badger

here we are:
It caught my eye straight away as a possible noggin or kuksa. I got a couple of decent spoon billets out of it as well.
PB130012copyresized.jpg

I cut log up on the spot with the laplander and then did the rest of the work at home.
PB130013copyresized.jpg

I hope this is helpful
if nothing else it shows that sometimes the ugliest bits and pieces contain surprises!
cheers
Steve;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE