a what to do this month??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ok ok, I get the hint. Yes, you can sew thin leather on a domestic sewing machine. You need to keep it at it's widest stitch and loosen off the tension a bit. If the thread snaps frequently, it's too tight. Best also to use bonded polyester thread.

I'll knock one up tomorrow and post it on this thread.

Eric

Cheers for checking this thread out Eric. Well, I didn't intend to push you towards making one, but a few ideas of possible problems that could occur. I just put a button hole in my windproof smock. I now know what the plastic slidey thing that goes on the foot bit is for which I didn't use! It is a mess, but it works!:D

The only thing that worries me is the leather getting marked by the toothy things that moves the cloth on. Also, what is the thinnest leather that could be used and what particular type of leather? I quite like the design of the envelope wrapped cover you see!

Of course, before making it, a suitable book would be needed to put inside, much easier that way I suppose than making it and trying to find a notebook to fit!

Any thoughts on that Eric? Also, do you think we should get a Mod to open up a new thread and post all of this in there as this thread has gone way off topic by now!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The toothy thing on the bottom is called the foot. It's job is to help drag the material through at an even pace. Leather is notorious for gripping and sticking on sewing machines. So, use masking tape along the stitch line to help prevent the foot from marking it, and use talcum powder underneath the leather to help it slide freely along the bed of the machine. Be warned though, you'll need to clean the shuttle housing regularly (a vacume cleaner hose works well).
You can sew any thin leather, veg or chrome tanned but be sure to use needles specifically designed for leather. These have a cutting point on them so they act a bit like an awl as well as a stitching needle. The leather from the back of an old sofa would be perfect for a project like this. If it's the wrong colour, get some shoe dye and dye it to whatever you like. With chrome tanned you won't be able to emboss or tool the cover, but if you use veg tanned you will be able to decorate it.

I'll add more as I think of it. It's one in the morning and I'm off to bed.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The diary type required, on further investigation, is a five year diary. Trying to find one without a horrible cheesy brass padlock or crap pictures of babies plastered all over it is proving a little difficult! Found an awesome one, leather bound, but it cost in the region of $180!!!:eek:

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I have been using this software at home and at work for the last 5 years. Nothing to with me etc.
http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/

I find it very easy to use and I prefer it to a written book

a. because its secure
b. I can have different journals in the same place.
c. I can never read my own handwriting :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE