A weekend with Paul Kirtley Part 1 (VERY pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
8 of the Rough Close Meeters social group had the pleasure of spending the weekend with Paul Kirtley. Paul joined us late on the Friday night after a terrible journey that took 4 1/2hrs instead of the expected 2 1/2hrs but we soon refreshed him with a fresh baked pizza and a bottle of Crabbies :)

The next morning we set off with Paul for a walk round Rough Close. Paul soon started pointing out things like the fact that we had Norwegian Maple on site but everyone assumed it was plain old sycamore. It was amazing the things we took for granted or didn't realise were there so it was great having a fresh pair of eyes :)
P1020753.jpg

P1020754.jpg

P1020756.jpg

P1020760.jpg

Whilst we were out he demonstrated the art of making withies
P1020761.jpg

We then carried on looking at various plants and trees
P1020769.jpg

Then we came upon an Elder laden berries and he told us about making a cordial with them so of course we had to try :rolleyes:
P1020772.jpg

P1020777.jpg

The cordial turned out pretty good but did need sweetening

The afternoon was then spent making salmon trolling hooks used by Native Americans on the northwest coast of America

Gathering the roots needed for the lashings
P1020782.jpg

P1020785.jpg

We then carved the components and split the roots
P1020788.jpg

The finished products :D
P1020790.jpg

After the craft session Paul gave a master class in carving feather sticks

P1020805.jpg

We then broke for dinner – Roast leg of lamb with veg very kindly cooked by MartinK9 ably assisted by Decorum

P1020822.jpg

This was followed by Peach Cobbler which you can read about here. It was truly delicious.

Thank you very much for the cooking Martin, the food was fantastic :)

Paul then spent the evening doing a show and tell about his Arctic kit which was fascinating and gave us a good understanding in the needs of multi layers and how they should be used

We then spent the evening chatting round the fire and just enjoying each others company :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The Sunday morning was spent again on a walk around Rough Close stopping off to practice the lesson he gave in making withies
P1020824.jpg

P1020827.jpg

We found some Artists bracket fungus
P1020830.jpg

And some other mushrooms
P1020834.jpg

The rest of the morning was spent gathering materials needed to make some treble hooks out of feather quills, thorns and pine resin

Paul melting down the resin
P1020836.jpg

Unfortunately I didn’t get any pics of the finished products

The afternoon was then spent learning the art of fire by friction using the hand drill

P1020844.jpg

P1020849.jpg

Carving the notch in a clematis hearth board

P1020851.jpg

And off he goes

P1020857.jpg

A minute or less there’s an ember (I didn’t time Paul but he was pretty quick)

P1020857.jpg

Where there’s smoke…

P1020860.jpg

…There’s fire
P1020862.jpg

P1020863.jpg

We then had a go…

P1020876.jpg

P1020883.jpg

Even young Adam had a go

P1020878.jpg

Then on his very first attempt…

P1020867.jpg

Roly got an ember!!!

P1020870.jpg

Unfortunately it didn’t take in the tinder bundle so Paul gave him a few pointers

P1020872.jpg

Then he was off again and in next to no time he had his second ember!!!

P1020885.jpg

This started to produce smoke as he blew upon the tinder bundle

P1020890.jpg

And he succeeded in breathing it into a fire. Well done mate

P1020894.jpg

Unfortunately my battery then died on me but the weekend’s activities had just about come to a halt after the hand drill.

It was a brilliant weekend which I for one thoroughly enjoyed. Paul is a great instructor with a great wealth of knowledge and it really shows he wants to share that knowledge with his students. The comments from the rest of group echoed what I thought and everyone enjoyed themselves.

If your group would like to invite Paul to one of your meets he can be contacted either through his blog or his bushcraft company :)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
BRILLIANT! what a boon getting Mr Kirtley there too guys, very well done, the pic of The young lad giving the hand drill a shot really sums up what learning all this is about, great pics Steve:)

I keep looking at the French river Exped with Paul's company:cool: very cool!

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
BRILLIANT! what a boon getting Mr Kirtley there too guys, very well done, the pic of The young lad giving the hand drill a shot really sums up what learning all this is about, great pics Steve:)

I keep looking at the French river Exped with Paul's company:cool: very cool! Frontier Bushcraft

So do I Southey, if I had the money spare I'd book it in a flash :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for sharing pics Steve and of course organising this! Big thanks to Paul for sharing all the knowledge in a laid back but informative style and to everyone else that attended. Great weekend, many thanks!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I keep looking at the French river Exped with Paul's company very cool! Frontier Bushcraft

Why did you have to go and show me that..... 5 Minuites ago I did not need a canoe trip in Canada but now I do soooooo much. Time to start saving, me thinks. That is ticking all my boxes big time.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well looks like all concerned had a whale of a time. As you said about a fresh pair of eyes, its really amazing what you don't see in a place where you spend lots of time. Paul is really up to the mark with his skills and an excellent teacher. I am a tad envious.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Id like to thank everyone , especially Steve for a fantastic weekend with Paul K , really enjoyed it and learnt alot , brilliant. Look- ing forward to getting up that way again . always good to see everyone . Once again cheers
ATB roly

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
It was a great weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed being there. Thanks for being so welcoming and for all the fantastic cooking - Bodge's oatcakes and MartinK9's Dutch oven skills are not to be underestimated! Thanks to Mesquite for organising things - it was great to work with such a keen and knowledgeable group and I hope to see you all again at some point.

All the best

Paul

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Great pics, looks like you all had a great time. The Scottish meet folks should drag Paul north of the border for one of their meets.

:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think I've been beaten to most pictures but I'll put up some of mine too just in case.

Trolling_Hooks.jpg

PK_Weekend-1.jpg

PK_Weekend-2.jpg

PK_Weekend-3.jpg

PK_Weekend-4.jpg

PK_Weekend-5.jpg

PK_Weekend-6.jpg
PK_Weekend-7.jpg

PK_Weekend-9.jpg

PK_Weekend-10.jpg

PK_Weekend-11.jpg

PK_Weekend-12.jpg

PK_Weekend-13.jpg
PK_Weekend-14.jpg

PK_Weekend-15.jpg

All in all a great weekend. Thanks go to Steve for organising it, Paul for his skill and insight, Martin and Bodge for their amazing catering and of course everybody else for their excellent company.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE