A weekend with Paul Kirtley Part 1 (VERY pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
My thanks to all those who came along and made for a special weekend ~ special thanks must go to Steve for coming up with the idea, to Paul for bringing new eyes and knowledge (and also for being a thoroughly nice chap) and to Martin for the culinary lesson (and his patience :eek:)

Wow looks cool... Shame I couldn't make this one :(

:p Being available wouldn't have helped you ~ this one was a special event put on for the regulars in the social group :p ~ talk about a benefit of going to Meets :D .

You're most welcome to join us for the September Meet at the end of the month :cool: ~ but you still can't drive down the back track :p :lmao:.

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Hi guys

Thanks to Mesquite, Wayland and MartinK9 for sharing their photos. I've written a post about the weekend on the Frontier Bushcraft blog. You can go straight to the blog post with the link below:

Private Course for BushcraftUK Group

Thanks again to everyone who was there for making me so welcome. Hope to do it again before too long.

All the best

Paul

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi guys

Thanks to Mesquite, Wayland and MartinK9 for sharing their photos. I've written a post about the weekend on the Frontier Bushcraft blog. You can go straight to the blog post with the link below:

Private Course for BushcraftUK Group

Thanks again to everyone who was there for making me so welcome. Hope to do it again before too long.

All the best

Paul

That's a great write up Paul :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Good write up :cool: .

:(:eek: I can't get my scumputer to see my card reader, hence no pics from me :eek::( ~ at the moment I'm still not too sure whether it's a problem with the reader or the drivers :dunno:. I'll continue to work on it and stick them up as and when I become able :sad6: .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Good write up :cool: .

:(:eek: I can't get my scumputer to see my card reader, hence no pics from me :eek::( ~ at the moment I'm still not too sure whether it's a problem with the reader or the drivers :dunno:. I'll continue to work on it and stick them up as and when I become able :sad6: .

I'd say it's is a problem with the carbon based lifeform attempting the operation.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Aaah, so that is the John Merrick like character everyone says attended the weekend. It was actually Phil being chiggered by chiggers.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'd say it's is a problem with the carbon based lifeform attempting the operation.

Aye, but that's a given :lmao:. All I know is the lil green light don't come on :confused: :dunno:

Could be because of the severe damage he suffered to his face from a chigger attack... They duffed Phil up something rotten :rolleyes:

Eye was a flying nasty ~ chiggers chomped (almost) everywhere else :yikes: :wow1:

Aaah, so that is the John Merrick like character everyone says attended the weekend. It was actually Phil being chiggered by chiggers.

Don't need no chompin' chiggers to pull that impersonation :lmao:

Anyway, isn't it about time to pull another visit? You haven't been since you face-planted after capsizing your hammock :p .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Anyway, isn't it about time to pull another visit? You haven't been since you face-planted after capsizing your hammock :p .

More than time. I planned several visits but my survey work has been utterly mad. You can tell as I'm only a flying visitor here lately. I've never been so busy in one year in this country, it has really been hectic. I've missed Mesquites Bday bash, surveying I promised at North Wood, the Wilderness Gathering, getting up to Sheffield to see Stu, meets with a few members I would dearly loved to have spent the day with, and my own daughters birthday. Duncan has also given me five of his knives to review, and I've had them for nearly three weeks and not had the time to do so. It has been mad, but I've been outdoors, so can't grumble. Been a whole three seasons hammockin with no rollovers too. Someone there must have pushed me. The swines :rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... and my own daughters birthday.

Ooh, bad move ~ more so seeing as some dopey blighter's taught her about guns and knives :lmao:.

Duncan has also given me five of his knives to review, and I've had them for nearly three weeks and not had the time to do so.

Erm ... and a Meet would be a wholey unsuitable place and time to get that job sorted wouldn't it :rofl:.

Someone there must have pushed me. The swines :rolleyes:

Could've been Twang-Twang ~ at the time he seemed overly chuffed that he was no longer the sole face-planter :thinkerg:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Erm ... and a Meet would be a wholey unsuitable place and time to get that job sorted wouldn't it :rofl:.

Well quite, and I would love to bring the Gerber and some other things for the mob to have a play with. But the time issue is still a problem. Nipping to the woods for an hour is much quicker.....g And still I lacked the time. I will bring some sharp play things to the next one I make though. And the herping season is at a peak with young uns being born, but soon I shall be free with the cold weather aproaching fast.

Could've been Twang-Twang ~ at the time he seemed overly chuffed that he was no longer the sole face-planter :thinkerg:

Penny drops. Well there you go. He was camped right by me. He trumps alot in the night too!!!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I would love to bring the Gerber ...
:yikes: One was brought along last weekend and passed around on Sunday evening :yikes: . I'm now in a position to say that I consider both the knife and and the sheath to be well made ~ but that handle would destroy my hands if I used it for more than a few minutes. I have to admit that I'm chuffed to have valid reason to dislike the knife :lmao: .

Penny drops. Well there you go.

That deserves a ...

Facepalm.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
problem with the reader or the drivers :dunno:. I'll continue to work on it and stick them up as and when I become able :sad6: .

Definitely the reader :lmao:

Anyway, a couple of misc pics from me ...

As I like to have a play with how I do things, I tried a new (for me) way of slinging my tarp ~ it's very dependent on pitching the back/wedge end into the wind. It rained Saturday night and, although I didn't get wet, I was concerned enough to sling the small spare I'd taken as a _just in case_ to add a bit of protection. I changed the configuration back to a more normal/traditional way of pitching on the Sunday.

You always forget something :eek: . In this instance, I forgot to pick up my Honey Stove ~ so I improvised :cool: .

An improvised candle lantern ~ this now defunct cigarette case holds 4 tea light and acts as a half decent reflector.

Someone had dropped a spruce bough/stem/branch _thing_ ~ so I harvested bits from it to make a brush.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE