A weekend on Loch Lomond

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got a late shout about a possible trip to Loch Lomond this weekend, I asked the boss and she said go for it :confused: (must be after something) so the bags were packed and I was off.
I should have been visiting the Brass Monkeys meet for just the day on Saturday but the three day pass out from Carol was too good to knock.

We managed to tuck ourselves away into a south easterly facing bay on Inchconnachan, luckily avoiding most of the baltic winds that were blasting down the length of the loch all weekend. It was cold and we thought probably well into the minuses.
I also got to try out my new down underblanket from the states which was soooooo toasty.

Good to meet another face, Vanilla rum anyone :D

A few pics then, nothing much really just water, trees and wallabies with some sunsets and crap moon shots.

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

DSC01533.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

DSC01547.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

DSC01555.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

DSC01562.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01567.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

Last edited:

pwb

Great pics Rich .

That hammock set up looks the bee's Knees, still torn between a DD Frontline and a Nomad XXL at the mo :rolleyes:.

When you going to move north of the border then , got a kilt you can borrow :D.

Pete.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Brilliant post !! Canoeing out to an island in the middle of a scottish loch sounds like one of the best adventures one could posibly have, stunning scenery and great pics.
Thanks for sharing.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Brilliant pic's Rich ... i wish i would have known i would came ti see you's as im only 11 miles from the loch , ah well next time bud....

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
...although I sepnt the weekend planting 27 cider apple trees in an orchard at a friends smallholding in somerset. Now all I gotta do is kick back for three years and await the first batch of the amber nectar! lol ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When you going to move north of the border then , got a kilt you can borrow :D.

Pete.

I feel like I already have sometimes :)

Plans are moving on though so one day hopefully.

..... hows the new under blanket-compared to the snugpak one?

Just as toasty mate, which I'm relieved about. Packs down tiny if you give it plenty and weighs in at just under 800g.

Superb pics! What's the story behind the wallabies? Not exactly native. And the pirate warning sign?

From what I've read the wallabies were brought onto the island in the 20s by a eccentric woman who built a summer house there. They seem to do okay with the scottish winters and have thrived ever since.
Not sure what the sign was about, I couldn't see anything suspect, probably just kids.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Your turn to make me jealous Rich,that looks to have been perfect clear weather , i,m champing at the bit to get back up there .looks like you all had a great time ,cheers mate, one day we will meet up for a :canoe:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a good trip Rich. So the Speers gets a thumbs up huh? are you going to do a review? I ended up sleeping in the Deep aquarium not quite the same with 30 cubs belting around but was interesting all the same.

I am just weighing up the Hammock situation now so get a review done!!! It may help me.

See your pm too!! lol

Great pics mate.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
From what I've read the wallabies were brought onto the island in the 20s by a eccentric woman who built a summer house there. They seem to do okay with the scottish winters and have thrived ever since.
Not sure what the sign was about, I couldn't see anything suspect, probably just kids.

Ok.

Hypothetical question. So don't flame me straight away.

If you could gain permission , is it legal to hunt-shoot-kill-eat wallabies?
As they were introduced and not native I'd be interested in the answer.

I'm sure some of use have had Roo burger in the past.:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I heard talk of them being culled occasionally so there could be a few roo steaks kicking about.
I think w00dsmoke knows more details about the inhabitants but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it probably is illegal to hunt them unless authorised by the SWT or similar.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Great pics mate and what an amazing trip :D
As for sailor jerry - never, NEVER again!!!!
Had a wee sleep on the train from Stirling and woke up so hungry i could have ate my underblanket. Got off the train and DESTROYED a burger :lmao: Felt better after that.
Have to say the poisoning from hell still didn't spoil the weekend. Had a fantastic weekend and of course good to make new mates too but lets just stick to single malts next time eh?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lol

Polished off the remainder of the Sailor Jerry last night with Carol, I had to dilute it with coke first though.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Aw mate, makes my stomach curl up and hide just thinking about it. Have to say i enjoyed it at the time but never reacted so badly to a drink before.
Glad you got home safely.
Still cant beleive the wallabies...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE