A wee wander this morning

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Went out with my mate and his dogs today for a bit of a loop round the village where I grew up. I forgot to take my camera so no pics sorry.
Had a useful day though, found half a dozen King Alfreds only five minutes into the walk, we then tapped a birch tree and left it to collect while we circled round. The dogs then chased a few rabbits about in the quarry while we sat down to get the kelly kettle on.
We heard some squaling from the quarry face and think we spotted a nesting pair of Peregrine Falcons. I had a look through my scope and I`d say they stood about 16" high, dark grey plummage with a white and grey chest with a vivid yellowy orange beak. Both perched on a grassy ledge with droppings below, couldn`t see if there were any young in there though.
One the way back round to the start we spotted a load of chicken in the woods on a dead yew tree, all of them were out of reach but I think I`ll be going back soon :)
We picked up the birch sap, about 500ml and headed back to his for bacon sarnies.

A good morning out and I'll be taking the camera next time.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I too had a pleasant morning out in Yorkshire.

Down to the local woodland with a few bits of kit in the pack. The sun was shining through the trees and off the paths it was quiet. Early on I heard but couldn't see a woodpecker doing what they're famous for.

In a recently planted area I spent a little time following rabbit trails and wondering where I would put snares, not that I had any with me. Further round the woods I got out my tarp and folding stool and sat for a spot of spoon making. Unfortunately I'd left my sharpening stone behind so I was too blunt too quickly.

I'd taken the tarp, just for practice's sake, good job too, could I remember how to tie the guy lines? Could I 'Eck as like!

After some faffing I got a working knot but checking with Mears when I got back home I found I was tying it all Frack to bunt. Oh well, thats what practice is for!

I'm still on the look out for crampballs in that wood though...

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE