A Walk in the Woods...Picture Heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well I have just got back from a short walk in the woods with my dog - Nunuq and I thought I'd show you all some photos that I took, I have a couple of ID questions aswell.

Nunuq....

100_1488.jpg

100_1486.jpg

I came here last month and this tree was still standing:eek: !

100_1485.jpg

Does anyone know what these are?:confused:

100_1483.jpg

100_1482.jpg

Back to the walk...:lurk:

100_1481.jpg

100_1480.jpg

Oh! Any idea on these aswell?

100_1479.jpg

100_1477.jpg

And thats about it for now I hope you like the pictures.:D

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hi

I think the first one is Arum maculatum or Lords and ladies. It has two distinct stages, the berrie form being the later.

The tree looks like a wallnut.

cheers

Andy

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Agree with andy on both points, lords and ladies is also known as Cuckoo Pint and is highly poisonous!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Agree with andy on both points, lords and ladies is also known as Cuckoo Pint and is highly poisonous!

I have seen this plant before but couldn't remember its name.
I know Lords and Ladies is poisonous, I never realised that this was it in the early stage though.
I know the features of the older plant, I got to rub some on my lips as part of a taste test on a survival course once! It left me with a pins & needles sensation on my lips for a good few hours.

Thanks for the reply though.

"lords and ladies" (arum maculatum)

Folklore believes that adders got their poison from eating this. It has been known as dog's dick due to it's phallic shape. The leaves are said to be stained with Christ's blood. Around 500 years ago the root was valued as a source of starch for laundry but was harsh to the hands. The roots was crushed and dried and sold as starch and 'nourishment for invalids', also used for pastry, soups, puddings. The corm heads was also used as a source for arrowroot (starch) and nourishment. This was practiced up to the mid-nineteenth century.

Please do not go out and just crush and dry the roots/corms, there is a process of washing/cooking first.

Lords and Ladies has a tuberous root, like a small potato. It is brown on the outside and white within. This tuber is acrid like the rest of the plant, but this acridity is lost during drying or cooking and then only the starch is left.
Baked tubers can be eaten and are nutritious, because of the starch.
Another use of the starch was to stiffen the white ruffs, which were worn round the neck of Elisabethans. The herbalist Gerard comments on this practice:
"The most pure and white starch is made of the rootes of the Cuckoo-pint, but most hurtful for the hands of the laundresse that have the handling of it; for it chappeth, blistereth, and maketh the hands rough and rugged and withall smarting."(http://www.the-tree.org.uk/EnchantedForest/WoodlandFlowers/lordsandladies.htm)

Some more interesting info can be found here
The fresh juice yields malate of lime, whilst the plant contains gum, sugar, starch and fat. The name Arum is derived from the Hebrew jaron, "a dart," in allusion to the shape of the leaves like spear heads; or, as some think, from aur, "fire," because of the acrid juice. The adjective maculatum refers to the dark spots or patches which are seen on the smooth shining leaves of the plant. These leaves have sometimes proved fatal to children who have mistaken them for sorrel. The brilliant scarlet coral-like berries which are found set closely about the erect spike of the arum in the autumn are known to country lads as adder's meat--a name corrupted from the Anglo-Saxon attor, "poison," as originally applied to these berries, though it is remarkable that pheasants can eat them with impunity.

In Queen Elizabeth's time the Arum was known as starch-wort because the roots were then used for supplying pure white starch to stiffen the ruffs and frills worn at that time by gallants and ladies. This was obtained by boiling or baking the roots, and thus dispelling their acridity. When dried and powdered the root constitutes the French cosmetic, "Cypress Powder." Recently a patented drug, "Tonga," has obtained considerable notoriety for curing obstinate neuralgia of the head and face this turning out to be the dried scraped stem of an aroid (or arum) called Raphidophora Vitiensis, belonging to the Fiji Islands. Acting on the knowledge of which fact some recent experimenters have tried the fresh juice expressed from our common Arum Maculatum in a severe case of neuralgia which could be relieved previously only by Tonga: and it was found that this juice in doses of a teaspoonful gave similar relief. The British Domestic Herbal, of Sydenham's time, describes a case of alarming dropsy, with great constitutional exhaustion treated most successfully with a medicine composed of Arum and Angelica, which cured in about three weeks. The "English Passion Flower" and "Portland Sago" are other names given to the Arum Maculatum.

Random facts(?) found in a random sites:
The cuckoo-pint is an unusual plant of hedgerows and woodsides, which produces bright red berries in the autumn. The berries are extremely poisonous to all birds, except the thrush.

Hedgerow plant, ‘Lord and Ladies’, looking rather long and spindly, has another name,
‘Cuckoo-Pint - Cucu for lively and pintle meaning penis - suggesting it has aphrodisiacal
qualities, despite the plant being highly poisonous while flowering!

The pennyroyal is also used for treating chills and colds and so was an infusion of the purple leaves of the cuckoo-pint which was first powdered down.

This guy has eaten it, i'll email him for more info:

The result of this fortunately short-lived encounter was a marriage neither made in heaven nor in hell but rather, in the realms of diabolical culinary insanity. Had you told me three weeks ago that I would be pureeing spear thistles to make an accompanying sauce for Cuckoo Pint based unidentified mushroom pancakes, I would have thought....- well, actually, I wouldn’t have thought anything whatsoever; my legs would have been acting on behalf of all thought as they propelled me at breakneck speed as far from your wickedly sounding curses as possible!

Then, the cock headed cuckoo pint (pintle - a slang dialect for 'penis' according to Richard Mabey), with it's semen-like starch oozing scrotal tubers, seems to literally light the way, leading us deeper and deeper into the gloaming woodland's blanketing twilight with its seed headed fire touch. What magic awaits us there!? Arise the Arum Man. Prepare the burning initiation with your skin puncturing needley sap. Lead on, lead on........

Today was a frightening day, an unnerving day. I ran out of all flour of any variety. This is a problem because it takes at least 2-3 days to gather, sort and process the raw materials before a fine usable flour can be had. This is doubly problematic because tomorrow I will be in London for virtually the whole day. What can I take for a packed lunch? Anyway, I made a good start this morning by collecting 2½ kilos of arum tubers - 500g more than I did the first time. This took 1½ hours, which is pretty good going. Mind you, it did take another 1 1/2 hours to scrub them all. If all goes to plan that should give me 500g of flour. On Thursday I will gather further flour plants.

Well after a little more research i found this:
What's an eddoe?
It's got a load of different names ( dasheen, cocoyam, taro and about twelve others ) botanicaly it's Colocasia esculenta. It's a member of the arum family ( cuckoo pint etc ), it makes hard starchy tubers with a fibrous skin. They're edible but posionous when raw. Makes good chips.

I took another look at Fergus Drennan's site and found this recipe that includes cuckoo pint flour (I have not included the full recipe as I urge you to look at the site itself plus i dont want to upset Fergus or the moderators of BushcraftUK)
Four Layered Nut Roast Served with Dulse and a Wild Rocket and Chickweed Salad.

INGREDIENTS
For the nut roast:
215g shelled hazelnuts
290g seabeet stems
100g giant puffball
100g chicken of the woods*
130g marsh samphire
50g Lords and Ladies (Arum maculatum) flour (CAUTION: see day 5)
20g dried carragheen seaweed
20g fresh jelly ear fungus (formerly Jew's Ear fungus - a corruption of Judas' Ear; he is reputed to have hung himself from an elder tree; and, quite frankly, no last supper would be quite right without Judas making some sort of appearance!)
10 nasturtium leaves
1 tblspn dried dittander flowers
1 tblspn natural sea salt
spring water

Fergus also explains how to make Lords and Ladies flour here scroll down the page to 'Day 5'
Lords and Ladies flour: These tubers are extremely toxic, containing very high concentrations of calcium oxalate. This needs to be leached out and rendered harmless. DO NOT eat any until after lengthy preparation. The tubers are best and most easily gathered when the seed covered shaft is fully-grown and the berries are green or red. Dig down – following the lower stem, 6-12 inches (15-30cm) to find the tubers. Wash well and peel or scrape off all the thin outer skin. Also cut away any shoots or very beginnings of shoots and roots. Place in a blender with plenty of water and blitz to as smooth a pulp as possible. You may then have to transfer the pulp to a liquidizer to get it really smooth. Next, pour into a large transparent plastic container. You need to pour in at least 10 x as much water in relation to the amount of pulp you have. Stir with a plastic spoon, cover and leave to settle for 3 hours. Then using a siphoning tube – so as not to disturb the sediment, strain off all the water above the sediment. Add the same quantity of fresh water as before. Repeat this process at least 7 times between 3-hour intervals. After siphoning off the water for the last time, line a large sieve with a piece of silk (the back of an old shirt is ideal), pour the pulp in and allow to drip dry. Alternatively, once about a third of the water has passed out you can form the silk piece into a bag and squeeze out the remaining water. Taste, but do not eat, a very small piece of the pulp. If, after trying, it leaves a tingling sensation on your tongue, repeat the leaching process several more times before proceeding (this shouldn’t happen if you have followed the procedure as described). Lay the piece of silk and semi-dry pulp out on an oven tray. Place in low oven with the door ajar and allow to dry. This takes 45 hours with an initial 2 kg prepared weigh of tubers. Halfway through the drying process, mix the flour/pulp about and crumble up any large bits. Once completely dried, grind in a coffee grinder or similar. 2 kg of scrubbed clean tubers yields 400g of flour. It can be used as an arrowroot substitute.

If anyone finds any more recipes be it for starch extraction or for medicinal or food purposes please post it, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE