A walk along the Antonine Wall and Bar Hill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
I parked the car at Croy and walked from there, its a couple of hundred yards from the car park to the path. It was cold and dry but started lightly snowing on the way back.

Deer tracks on the path, I followed them as far as I could until they faded on the ice.
SDC10331.jpg

Looking back along the path to Croy
SDC10334.jpg

Looking over the Forth and Clyde Canal from the top of Bar Hill, the snow was 6-8 inches deep in places here, about 4-5 inches everywhere else.
SDC10343.jpg

That'll be me.
SDC10351.jpg

Looking back along the line of the Antonine Wall.
SDC10357.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies, lovely colours

If you copy the IMG code straight into your thread it saves us having to open each link.
SDC10331.jpg

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
To be honest, I'm not sure but I found this on http://www.antonine-way.co.uk/

The Antonine Wall is a national monument of Scotland and whilst there are many areas that are publicly available to view it is important that these areas are treated with due consideration for their historical importance.
For the most part the best locations have been made accessible and easily viewed by the various local authorities along the route - sites at Falkirk, Kirkintilloch and Bearsden are signposted and open to public viewing.

It is possible to walk for most of the Antonine Wall but there are sections that are in farmland or 'disappear' into industrial zones so its not possible to walk the entire length of the Wall in an unbroken trail.

Around here (Cumbernauld) it can be easily accessed and walked.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a fascinating monument.
Basically the Romans built it, had to pull back, and just mothballed everything they could.
Most of the mile markers that have been found, and the memorial stones raised by the regiments, some saying who built such and such a length, are in the Hunterian Museum at Glasgow University. Well worth a look if you're interested.
The Romans clearly thought they'd be back. Lot of finds, everything from bundles of nails planked down well shafts, to more personal items have been recovered.
It's a incredibly rich source of information about that period in Scottish history.
Besides, it's a good walk :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Thank you for posting the photos :cool:

Last edited:

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
Thanks Toddy. The fort at Twechar has been nicely restored, the remains of the baths and some legion offices are still there. I would have taken some photos of it too if it wasn't buried under the snow. :hatscarf:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somewhere I have a copy of one of the excavation reports and a book about the wall. Happy to lend them to you when I come across them, if you like ?

cheers,
Toddy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
D'you know I grew up in Bo'ness/Bridgeness but have yet to go to see the accessible bits near Cumbernauld.

Looks like a trip within the next few weeks (I've cycled past it on the canal too)...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE