A very Scottish leather tool roll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thanks for all the kind words :) it was a labour of love but was glad to see the end of it as big projects are always more stressful ;)

Fantastic! A true work of art.

How did you adhere the tartan to the leather? Did you employ any special technique to get such smooth results? How did you keep the tartan material from stretching while you worked with it?

- Woodsorrel

I basically just held it all in place with my hands as I stitched and corrected it as I go, as I didn't want to use any form of adhesive on the material incase it got tacky. Luckily I had a spark of pre-planning with this one as I ordered a miniature version of the tartan so more of the crosshatching would be visible on a smaller scale, and so I used the pattern as guide line. For the rolled edge on the inside pockets, I stitched right across one patterned line, rolled it over, and ran the stitch along another parallel line which kept it nice and straight if that makes sense?

All in all I think I ended up hand saddle-stitching approx 6-7 metres length in total as fulled rolled out it measures as a metre so there is four metres alone in the stitched line running along top and bottom edges, two straight lined for the rolled edge on the pockets, then the individual pocket spacers and the inlay on the front. Phew!

Haven't even taken pictures of the satchel I made for SWMBO at the same time as making this! ;)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
That is a thing of great beauty mate.

I can appreciate the hours of planning and wonder at the patience involved.....outstanding :)

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Be very proud. Grate things have come from grate places, made by grate men. This is one of your grates. well done.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wood carvers are fond of saying that there is good work, that there is great work and then there are pieces such as this called "gallery grade." Beautiful.

Dreadhead

Thanks folks :)

Received this message last night on facebook:

"Hi hamish , I'm Eddie the carpenter that is so fortunate to have received this beautiful chisel roll that you made for me , I am eternally grateful to both you and Louise . I was holding back tears when I opened it . It will be filled with the finest chisels hand made in Japan , used every day and it will be cherished as long as I live . Maybe one day I can make something for you that will make you smile every time you use it , thanks again Eddie"

That's what it's all about :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks folks :)

Received this message last night on facebook:

"Hi hamish , I'm Eddie the carpenter that is so fortunate to have received this beautiful chisel roll that you made for me , I am eternally grateful to both you and Louise . I was holding back tears when I opened it . It will be filled with the finest chisels hand made in Japan , used every day and it will be cherished as long as I live . Maybe one day I can make something for you that will make you smile every time you use it , thanks again Eddie"

That's what it's all about :)
Engelbert says that that's The Magic of Christmas!
music-000045.jpg

Seriously though Hamish that was good of him to contact you, good to hear one craftsman praise another. Top stuff sir.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm so hoping it does get used every day rather than put in a drawer for fear of marking. It would be good too to see a picture with all those shiny new chisels in place!

Dreadhead

Engelbert says that that's The Magic of Christmas!
music-000045.jpg

Seriously though Hamish that was good of him to contact you, good to hear one craftsman praise another. Top stuff sir.

haha I honestly don't know how to respond to that!

I'm so hoping it does get used every day rather than put in a drawer for fear of marking. It would be good too to see a picture with all those shiny new chisels in place!

Absolutely. Occaisionally I get sent pictures by customers years after purchase and I love to see my work once it has been 'broken in' and used properly :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE