A touch of elegance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I just checked it through my currency converter, seems very reasonable for what you get. 8 month wait though :cry:

Hoodoo said:
See my avatar. :)
I have always admired it :) What wood is that?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Snufkin said:
I have always admired it :) What wood is that?

Ash.

It's worth the wait.

Here's a pic of my ash-handled belt axe. This one will be in Tactical Knives.

beltaxe1b.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
reevesnessmuk29308ex.jpg

This Nessmuk double bit from Lee Reeves just arrived. I am awestruck. It is a beauty, sharp and feels perfect in my hand. I will be giving it a trial this weekend.

I think I need a matching single bit though.....

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Schwert said:
reevesnessmuk29308ex.jpg

This Nessmuk double bit from Lee Reeves just arrived. I am awestruck. It is a beauty, sharp and feels perfect in my hand. I will be giving it a trial this weekend.

I think I need a matching single bit though.....
:shock: :shock: What are you trying to do to me? Thats beautiful.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I remember seeing your ash handled one Hoodoo at the Wolverine I think I would prefer the Osage or even a maple myself but either way both are incredible looking. The design of the handle felt comfortable in my hand.

Mar 7, 2004
OMG the big guns Schwerts photos PLUS Lee's great work.

MUST BE STRONG.

Web(I WON't USE IT, I WON'T USE IT)

gosh it IS pretty

:shock:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Web...no way do these photos tell the whole story. These are 10 times better in person. I am probably going to order a single in FiddleBack a bit later.

I am going to see how this double handles this weekend and I have this feeling that I will be sending Lee another email.

Lee knows how a hand ax should be configured and his prices are really not bad considering.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
One of my tasks this weekend was disposal of our Christmas tree....yeah I know it is February. Anyway I usually trim off the branches, compost them and then peel the trunk. I usually keep the trunk thinking I will carve it into a walking stick....so this one will join 3 other poles.... :eek:):

This year we hand cut a 14' Grand fir and it was still quite fresh as it had been laying in the shade and in the rain since I tossed it out the door at the beginning of January. I figured it was a decent bit of work for the new Reeves Nessmuk ax. So I trimmed the branches, most of them were around a half cm in diameter with a few up to about one cm. Nothing real hard but well pitched, and plenty of them for the trial.

nessmukgrandfir2iw.jpg

nessmukgrandfir24de.jpg

I used both edges and for this task, while I preferred the thinner edge, both worked well. The edge bit surely and cut cleanly with one stroke right at the base of the branch. I ran out of time before peeling the trunk, but that is left for next week. I was able to easily start a strip of bark by holding the ax head close and slicing, so I think peeling will go very smoothly. This ax handled very well and the resin cleaned up nicely with a bit of white gas off that smooth steel. I like this one.

nessmukgrandfir31ub.jpg

For "night-wood", we cut a dozen birch and ash poles from four to six inches across, trimmed them to the tips, and dragged them to camp. Nessmuk "Our Luck" Chapter IV

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
It certainly makes the resistance to buy weaker

This is indeed true. :eek:):

The fiddleback stripped pattern is not the alignment of the growth rings...I am not actually sure what makes those stripes but the helve is not a series of stacked growth rings, the wood fibers run the length of the helve.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hoodoo said:
Got this in the mail recently from Lee Reeves. I already have one with an ash handle and from experience I can tell you it's a dandy using tool. Don't let the graceful lines fool ya. Lee used osage orange to handle this one.

reeves1b.jpg
Hoodoo, Schwert, you blokes made me do it! Posting all these pics of lovely axes. I just ordered one, osage handled hatchet :D . Only nine months to wait now :rolleyes:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sorry Snufkin. NOT! :)

It's worth the wait. I have one of his hawks on order now. I think Schwert does too.

Too bad you missed it. I just saw one of these go on a forum. If you haunt the knife forums or ebay, ya just might pick one up. :)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hoodoo said:
Sorry Snufkin. NOT! :)

It's worth the wait. I have one of his hawks on order now. I think Schwert does too.

Too bad you missed it. I just saw one of these go on a forum. If you haunt the knife forums or ebay, ya just might pick one up. :)
I was sorely tempted by the hawk, and the nessmuk for that matter. I can see further purchases in my future :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE