A Tool to measure windspeed in the field?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Have a look at these as well Silva adc They seem to do 3 models and this is the cheapest (they go up to £180 :yikes: )

I think they are the replacement for lithrils ones.

Bill

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've made a rough and ready anemometer before out of some odds and ends.

Basically, you take a flat piece of wood (plywood or similar) and hang it against a straight block of wood, so that it pivots where it joins the straight bar. Now you need to mark off various wind speeds - the easiest way to do this is to get someone to drive you along in a car with the window down as you hold out the anemometer - the pressure of the wind makes the flat piece of wood pivot up, and you mark off the straight bar at the point the flat piece reaches depending on your speed.

The range of speeds that can be measured depends on the weight of your flat piece of wood.

Here's a quick (and nasty) sketch I just did of the idea to try and make more sense:

anemometer.jpg

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Washing up liquid, water, 4cm wire loop on a handle.

Mark out a 10m distance, in the direction of the wind. Stand at the upwind end, blow bubbles.

Measure, in seconds, the time it takes for a bubble to travel the 10 m.

Divide this value by 10 to give metres per second

Or multiply by 0.36 to give kilometres per hour.

Keith.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Thank you guys for all the info and help!

Hi Tomtom, until now I have been alway within the forest but now I want to get out into the fjälls for hunting "Ripa" I am going on sunday to get a snare hunting license and if everything goes well I am quickly going into the fjälls.
In the fjälls there is no protection against wind and one can easily underestimate the cooling effect wind has on you.

cold.jpg

078_Sarek.jpg

I thought it a good idea to have check on the wind.

cheers
Abbe

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Abbe Osram said:
Thank you guys for all the info and help!

Hi Tomtom, until now I have been alway within the forest but now I want to get out into the fjälls for hunting "Ripa" I am going on sunday to get a snare hunting license and if everything goes well I am quickly going into the fjälls.
In the fjälls there is no protection against wind and one can easily underestimate the cooling effect wind has on you.

..snip..
I thought it a good idea to have check on the wind.

cheers
Abbe

Yes, a good idea to know the wind chill factor.

Would a wet bulb thermometer give you some indication of this?

Keith.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Keith_Beef said:
Yes, a good idea to know the wind chill factor.

Would a wet bulb thermometer give you some indication of this?

Keith.

I don't know what a wet bulb thermometer is but if it only checks the temperature than no. I want to measure the speed of the wind in meters.
I am happy I got so many good links and some of the gear are luckily a little cheaper than the other.

cheers
Abbe

hootchi

Settler
Thats a lovely area you have there Abbe.

A wet thermometer bulb wouldn't work because the heat is not lost by convection as the wind does. It would be lost as conduction which although quicker is not the same effect because the volume of fluid is so small.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I made my own gadget to do this. I got a piece of cardboard, laminated and mounted it on a spring from a broken toy. Set another piece at 90 degrees to measure how far the first piece tips over and you have your windspeed. You will need to roughly calibrate it, ie when you know it is force 6 mark this on - you could use a weather station for this. I taped mine onto my jacket sleeve and I find it very useful when sailing. :biggthump
If at see you can also tell by watching the waves, this is a skill that does not take long to acquire.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
hootchi said:
Thats a lovely area you have there Abbe.

A wet thermometer bulb wouldn't work because the heat is not lost by convection as the wind does. It would be lost as conduction which although quicker is not the same effect because the volume of fluid is so small.

A wet bulb thermometer, in answer to Abbe, is a thermometer with a bit of wet cloth round the bulb. As the water evaporates, it cools the bulb, thus giving a lower reading than the dry bulb thermometer.

I had seen in meterological observations, "dry bulb" and "wet bulb" temperature readings, and thought that perhaps the wet bulb thermometer was there to give sime idea of wind chill...

I did a bit of googling since then, and found that it is more an indication of humidity.

In fact, the evaporation from the wet bulb thermometer depends on the humidity of the air. The less humidity there is, the faster the evaporation.

The difference in the readings, therefore, between the wet bulb thermometer and the dry bulb thermometer, give an indication of the humidity.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE