Spring Spoiling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ain't semantics wonderful?
OK Your "chips" are our "French Fries", or simply in context: "fries."
Next, your "crisps" are our "potato chips" but you can start a fire with dried buffalo chips.
I've made crisps from carrot, yam and parsnip. Never a need to contemplate keeping qualities in my house.

I believe there's a great deal of cultural stodginess here = yam/parsnip/carrot all beat the hello out of fried potato products.
One winter, I took it upon myself to learn to make extremely excellent yam fries (trendy in the pubs).
Since done this with both carrots and parsnips = major dinner surprise.

1tbs flour, 1 tbs mixed herb/spice seasoning as you wish, in a large plastic bag.
Seasoned salt+pepper+garlic powder, etc. . . . . even curry powder if you dare.
Large cake rack over the sink, 1" oil coming up to 370F in a deep pot on the stove.
Put all the cut yam fries into the bag and bounce them around to coat evenly.
Dump on the cake rack to shed the excess.
Into the oil for 3min30sec. 4 min is too long. Drain and eat, a seasoned mayonnaise is nice.

'French Fries' are those bloody awful things you get dished up in McDonald's and Burger King (and many places in France). Chips are real fries, preferably cooked in pork or beef fat, often twice fried for a nicer crispy exterior. Swede (veg not the people) make good chips as are older carrot and parsnips.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for yam/sweet potato, carrot and parsnip crisps.

Beetroot also makes tasty crisps,
t2801.gif

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't eat at Dirty Ronnie's. Booger King if I have to. A&W fries are the best of the store-bought, I need a dose every 3-4 months.
Other than that, I make my own yam/potato/carrot fries with a seasoned coating. Same with pizza = my crust, my sauce, from scratch.
Scratch mixes for all bread, pie crust, pasta, waffles, tortillas, chepati, pita, pakora and pancakes. I know what's in it. No. Big. Deal.

I learned my lesson long ago: the best and only way to get what I want to eat is to start with a bowl and a stick and make it, myself.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If I could grow pasta and pie crust in my garden, I would!
End of May, will get some purple carrots, peas and green beans in the ground.
Maybe some beets. Not much of a garden space, couple 16' rows of each but that's OK.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yup, looking forward to drinking mine, on lst years blackberry at present, makes a lovely light fruity spritzer.
which I feel to have earned after the last few days, planting, transplanting, replacing a gate and posts, hedge trimming, weeding, oh yes, its good to be off again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE