A stretchey problem!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Evening everybody,

Whilst supervising the school DofE group, I took along my hammock to sleep in on the friday night, I couldn't wait, with work and a young family these opportunities are getting fewer!

Its a DD camping hammock and I last used it for one night last year.

Back then I woke up like a banana as the green tubular webbing had stretched so much!
I put it down to being new and it wouldn't stretch again. . . .

but on friday night about 3am I woke up for a quick call of nature and carefully sat, only to find that I was on the floor!

So I reset the hammock and woke up at 5am, mere inches above the ground!

Have I been eating too many pies?! :eek:

So my question is, has anybody else experience this? and what should I replace the now very long and suspect looking tubular webbing with?!?!

Thanks folks

Drew

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I would say that when they get wet it will take all the stretch out of them once and for all.
Or you could replace them with the B&Q 25mm black tape found where they sell the chain etc. Get it well wet hang some weight off it and it wont stretch again.
D

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
That happened to mine for the first 3 outings, they have finished stretching now, but I am still in the habit of re-tying everymorning to be on the safe side.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
well i have yet to see anyone with a bigger belly then me in a dd hammock and the supplied DD webbing works grand - in fact for various reasons ive had a number of different lengths of webbing of them and after the initial use they are fine. Are you sure its the webbing strapping stretching and not maybes your knots slipping or something? One thing to do is intentionally soak the straps and spend a day lounging in it - gets all the stretching out the way.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I own a DD as well but swapped the factory webbing out because I'd heard it was quite stretchy. I changed it for polypropelyne webbing; that was what people over at hammockforums.net was the stuff with the least stretch. Hardly seem to get any at all now...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Another trick is to string the hammock when you make camp and stick your backpack and any other items in it for the day. Once your ready to hit the hay then re-tie and you should be good to go. Brand new DD hammocks are famed for it.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Thanks for all the advice folks,I appreciate that!

I think Webbing is what I'll try next, as it was definitely the webbing that stretched!

Might have a route in my climbing box. . . I'm sure I have a 16 foot sling from when I was a young instructor that has virtually no use! I can see a second life coming for it!

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE