A source of real horse hair?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Across the fields at the back of my house after dark :D

Seriously though, a mate of mine is in SFX for films and TV and he gets loads of Ebay. That and Yak hair.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Our pony is in full moult at the moment, could post some on to you after the kids have given him a good grooming at the weekend if you want.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I like sage and onion the best. :D

Gah! Beaten to it :D

never came accross a horsehair stuffed item before though tbh, does it make a diff compared to regular modern stuffing or the like? does it the make the item hard or soft?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
It is coming off our pony well now that he is in moult, always wondered if there was a use for it. Normally leave handfuls around the hedgerows, the birds seem to like it for nesting and its great to watch them coming back and fore collecting it.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
never came accross a horsehair stuffed item before though tbh, does it make a diff compared to regular modern stuffing or the like? does it the make the item hard or soft?

A lot of mattresses have horse hair laid down in layers. Something about it being springy enough to retain it's shape.

I skinned an old mattress once when I needed filling for cushions for inside a set of hefty bass cabinets that I was making on the cheap. The cushion covers were an old rectangular sleeping bag cut in half and there was enough hair to fill the pair of them.
Didn't have to use horsehair, just needed some filling and the mattress happened to be lying waiting on a dump run.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've varous things I want to use it for, firstsly I'd like to make some thread/line with it (lets see if herself can spin me some after I did up that wheel for her) then I want to use the thickest bits (tail?) to do the bristles on some twisted wire brushes and maybe some basic artist type brushes, along with some scale model trees for the eldests Warhammer 40K (you make a short fat brush and chop the bristles into a rough treelike shape and glue flock to it but I digress)

I'd also like to use it as a natural padding inside thin leather. I've been threatening to make a wood framed, leather and canvas pack with padded hipbelt and straps...

Is it strong enough for bowstrings?

Anyway it seams a interesting material and I thought I'd have a go with it.

Cheers!

Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsehair

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've not got a source the last lot i got was from a friend who got me some tail hair for making braided fishing line. One tip i have that made a big difference was: when asking for tail hair make sure its from a male not a female as the ladies urinate on there tales and the urea weakens the hair and makes it susceptible to snapping both in use and while working

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE