A small kuksa in beech

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
2013-06-24+22.04.59.jpg

I carved this small kuksa from beech tonight. It holds about 100 mL max, and I carved it with the idea of whisky/cognac around a proper campfire. There is a small crack in the front of the bowl that I superglued and try to forget about :p

If you are interested, there are more pictures on my blog.

All comments are welcome, as always. Thanks for looking.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Great work. Haven't had the courage to try a kuksa myself yet, but it's something that's on my list of stuff I need to do in summer if I get the time. Nice blog too. :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very nice job, love the finish; get the whiskey in it, then drink it, then you won't care about the crack!...........I never let little cracks and other faults bother me, it's all part of the character..........atb mac

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys!

I don`t mind little cracks either, as long as they stay little. I don`t want to end up with two half kuksas eventually... ;)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I know what you mean. I have one of those, but I can`t get along with it at all, and have to keep myself from accidentally using push-cuts all the time. I never really use it anymore. I used the single-edged mora for this one, and that works quite well for me.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Nice. I'm doing a kuksa with Mora knives at the moment. I must say that I don't get along with the double-edged one for starting. I ended up working a depression with the single edged one and then using the other to go around the edge. I did like that it caused a lot less tool marks. But then, I intend to sand the living daylights out of it anyway. I just like sanding. I've got a couple of Ben Orfords coming in the post. Be interesting to make the comparison. great work.

Cheers,
Leif

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Nice one two socks.

From what I remember, super glue isn't waterproof. However, 100ml of whisky won't take that long to drink!

I used a Mora for my first few kuksa's and I got on fine with it. I did a convex edge on it and didn't really know anything else.

My first kuksa was a bit burr elm that was almost seasoned!!! It has a fault in the burr and you get coffee on your hands but it's my first one and I'm still using it.

Are you doing the silver coin/coffee/whisky seasoning trick?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Seasoned burr sounds like a nightmare to carve!

May I ask what this trick is that you speak of? Sounds interesting.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Nice work Two Socks. Only recently finishing a Kuksa myself I admire your determination to finish even though you had cracks, I was told to use beeswax instead of superglue but this was after I had finished. Here's to your next project. :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hi Two Socks.

Put the silver coin in the bottom, cover with black coffee till you can't see the coin, fill with whisky till you can see it again. Drink but don't swallow the coin.

Apparently a tradition as is making your own/getting it as a gift rather than buying one.

Cheers

Brian

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Never knew that tradition. I think I`ll go for a couple of coats of walnut-oil to seal it after drying though. After that sets I hope I can use it for different things that will not all taste like whatever it was I had in it first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE