A simple coffee scoop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
With the slightly grim weather today I was at a bit of a loose end and wanted to relax with some simple no frills carving.

Having recently bought a filter coffee machine (got bored of the pod things) I couldn't quite ignore the horrible plastic scoop it came with.

A couple of hours in the garage produced this little birch scoop, It's not going to be winning any beauty or design awards but I can't think of anything better than something handmade that will be used on a daily basis.

efa815318859af29fc1cd2a4d7ca28ca.jpg

a9eeb095f584fc2313dac4bc3e8e5cc4.jpg

783187f0871fe28ca3f8842ec479067d.jpg

1263264d1d16e3bb6d87de8b42f8655c.jpg

7395a9d1968c893bb60663b72defe71e.jpg

da19d364401411fa994c19c2e36783d5.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Nice work!
May I ask what axe is that?
Lovely work on the crook knife handle too...

It's a hans Karlsson slloyd axe, a bit smaller and lighter than the GB wildlife hatchet and the head is a little lighter than the GB hand hatched/Kubben which I use a lot.
The HK is great for lengthy carving session where you don't need any really heavy cutting power (like with spoons) as it doesn't tire out your arm as quickly.

Your comment on the the handle for my twca cam made me chuckle, it arrived un-handled like all of Nic's tools and I just grabbed the first bit of seasons stick I had laying around. That said it has proven to be excellent for the job so it did work out alright. 😁

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It's a hans Karlsson slloyd axe, a bit smaller and lighter than the GB wildlife hatchet and the head is a little lighter than the GB hand hatched/Kubben which I use a lot.
The HK is great for lengthy carving session where you don't need any really heavy cutting power (like with spoons) as it doesn't tire out your arm as quickly.

Your comment on the the handle for my twca cam made me chuckle, it arrived un-handled like all of Nic's tools and I just grabbed the first bit of seasons stick I had laying around. That said it has proven to be excellent for the job so it did work out alright. 😁

Thanks for clarifying that , the axe looks brilliant for those little tasks , and I'm going to search for one now just to see if it's also slightly cheaper than the GB .
:)

As for the crooky , it's nice to see something simple and perfectly functional like that.
Like yourself, I also prefer the longer handle on the crook knives, allowing for more leverage and slightly different holds.

thanks for sharing

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks for clarifying that , the axe looks brilliant for those little tasks , and I'm going to search for one now just to see if it's also slightly cheaper than the GB .
:)

As for the crooky , it's nice to see something simple and perfectly functional like that.
Like yourself, I also prefer the longer handle on the crook knives, allowing for more leverage and slightly different holds.

thanks for sharing

Well in respect of the price all I can say is make sure your sitting down before you open a webpage. 😳

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Lovely work.

i like the idea of the stop pegs on your log - I struggle with holding a blank when I'm carving. I can't quite make it out from the pics - can it cater for different lengths of blanks? It looks like the pair of pegs sit either side of the blank...

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Lovely work.

i like the idea of the stop pegs on your log - I struggle with holding a blank when I'm carving. I can't quite make it out from the pics - can it cater for different lengths of blanks? It looks like the pair of pegs sit either side of the blank...

Yes it works well for different sizes, the pegs are stationary in holes drilled into the stump but the backstop is held down my wood screws so can be moved as needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE