A sadly missed opportunity

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Regular readers of my posts may be aware that I found a robin nest, with 4 eggs in it earlier this week. Was planning on rigging up my wildlife camera trained on it to record their progress but when I went to check on the nest today, all the eggs had gone.

What could have taken them? There was one broken eggshell on the ground underneath but the nest looked otherwise undisturbed. If only I'd set the camera up as planned to catch the thief...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Squirrels are the main culprits around here. The population seems to have exploded, it's like there's a squirrel in every tree now.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
We had a similar occurrence last year. We get blackbirds nesting in the spiky green thing that grows by our front door most years but last year the mother disappeared and the eggs were broken. I don't think cats can get up there and we don't see squirrels.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Magpies are big takers of eggs too.

5743232521_2f25fe8b39_z.jpg

5__magpie-stealing-partridge-egg.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's magpies here. They herrie the nests and carry the eggs away to the roof tops to stab them and pick out the innards.
The squirrels will do it as well, but with so many bird feeders in all the gardens, they're well fed these days and don't seem to be quite as much a pest as they were. The magpies take the small squirrel kits too if they can. We hear some battles royal in the trees along side the garden. The blackbird's frantic, "chink,chink,chink", the magpies chattering gleefully and the squirrels hissing with rage. Nature's not a peaceful place a lot of the time. Surprisingly it's the wren's warning chip!chip!chip!chip! that I can hear even in the house when it spots a cat along the burnside woods.

It's early enough yet Spandit; the robins might well nest again, and they might find a better hidey hole this time, though it's hard to find one the squirrels can't reach :sigh:

atb,
M

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Shame, but thats the circle of life I guess.

It seems to be a good year for smaller birds, my feed station is being frequented by fledgling robins, sparrows, tits and the worlds clumsiest crow. I've got a pair of goldfinches visiting too, so hoping to see some of their chicks.

Out of interest, which trailcam did you use?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE