a rustic stag scaled higonokami

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
Some of us enjoy the traditional, rustic look.

This higonokami style pocket knife has stag scales and a rustic look. It cost me $30 US and carries well as an EDC.

The knife is a friction folder. It has an internal liner section with an embedded ball-bearing that snaps into a depression on the pivoting part of the blade to give it a definite "click" when it fully opens. It is NOT a lock, but give the knife solid feeling when it is open. The high carbon blade length is 2.25 inch / 57 mm and very sharp. It is differentially hardened with a visible hamon.

kh2535-250.jpg
\

Made in China by CAS Hanwei and imported by Rock Creek Knives. I think I will enjoy this one a lot.

Jim FBtE

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
well, this little knife was delivered today as promised, can't fault the comms or delivery times.

However..........IMHO this knife whilst looking good is a complete waste of money ( sorry SWMBO ). Here's why....

The construction is a pressed steel affair that is slightly twisted.
The scales are so thin they look and feel as if they will peel off the pressed metal frame.
The opening of the blades is very very rough ( worse than the most coarse sand paper )
The blades when open are WAY off centre.
There is a LOT of lateral movement in both the blades when open.

Unless I've got a real bad one, I'd save your money folks.

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
Robbi,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with the knife.

On my knife, one blade opens fine, the pointy one was very rough, but after breaking it in (open/close 100-200 time), it smoothed down, but not as good as the other blade.

My blades are centered and tight with no lateral play.

The scales on mine are held to the frame with hollow rivets that keep the blades tight.

I apologize if I misled anyone, but the knife I received from Rock Creek in the US is good value for the price and of solid construction for its price range. Of course, it won't compare to a $100+ knife or a custom one.

Again, I'm sorry you didn't receive good value for your money.

Jim

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Hey Jim, don't worry mate, you didn't mislead me at all.

i liked the look of it and decided to give it a go.

yep, the scales are held on with two hollow rivets as well as glued, they are so thin ( less than credit card thickness on mine ) that they look as if they will lift / chip / flake off. ( i may well be wrong )

Still, an interesting knife but it goes in the draw not the pocket.

stay safe

Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE