A Runny Tengu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Stop laughing.)

I have had the runs intermittently now all the time I have been here (since september)

Say, on average, twice a week? (many other days soft stools.)

I have been taking `Boots` Diarrhoea relief (Loperamide Hydrochloride) and it doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

I dont seem to have a bug, and I am in the pink of health.

I am eating a varied diet at regular times.

For a while I was on cod liver oil capsules, but I have given them up just in case, -no use.

My GP suspects stress, and yes I was stressed here at first, now I am used to the area.

The big change in my diet is the change to soft water...do you think that is it?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Take this for what you will I offer no guarantees but it has helped my wife. She had similar problems and visited a Jan De Vries clinic for testing. She was 'diagnosed' as having a gut 'yeast infection' caused by 'bad' bacteria. She was recommended to take a tablet that puts 'good' bacteria in to the gut. They cost about £8 for 30 I think, I'll get the name when I get up. They have helped. She discussed using the Yakult type stuff but was told they are too sugary which would feed the yeast. Like I say it has helped but it may not be the same for you.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
mix up a couple of tea spoons full of corn flour with a little milk and drink the whole lot in one go, I know this thickens up gravy and soup so should work for the runs.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I remember a friend used to work as a fireman in the American air bases and he used to suffer the same thing because of the softened water? Just a thought

Sent from somewhere?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Go and seek a second opinion urgently. That's my advice, it sounds a little bit worrying.

+1. A change in diet or water (or dozens of other things) could cause it but I suspect after 8 months your body would have adapted to the new regimen. If it's persisted this long you really need to find out why.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Keep up the pressure on your doctor - well there was a tv campaign about this very thing recently wasn't there. Likely it is something simple, could be stress, could be the water, who knows. But if it continues and it's worrying you persevere with the NHS and get them to sort it. Try some of the suggestions here too.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, I need those for my awls...

I suspect its dodgy gut flora...But Ill ask my GP.

Its depressing to have to keep a record of scat.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/chronic-diarrhoea-in-adults

I think you are right to be concerned about a 6 month + history or diarrhoea. Its always difficult with self diagnosis as you can either convince yourself you have hours to live or convince yourself there is nothing wrong and ignore serious symptoms.
GP or hospital investigations may be awkward or embarrassing, but getting on with them will get the answer sooner rather than later. Best wishes with it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE