A (river) island getaway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Not sure if this will forever remain in the planning stage but in my many walks along the Thames path, I see little wooded islands in the river.

I love the idea of getting to and camping on one of these but I assume like all other land it's owned even if there isn't anything on land registry website.

Question is, how do I get to it. The basic approach seems best to me. Wrap the bag and clothes in a big ol bag and swim like a wee froggie.

Does anyone e have any similar experience in such sillyness or any ides on how to get to the island.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Get a big dry bag, the sort where you roll over the top several times and then clip together the fastening. The wild swimmers sometimes use those for carrying their clothes when swimming down a river and they work very well.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Inflatable dinghy? Coracle? Paddle board?

shopping

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Have to say that swimming in the Thames doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Might be all sorts of tat under the water waiting to trap a leg or something. i guess if you're going to try swimming it, it would be best to start out well upstream to make sure you don't get swept past the island.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Have a word with the Outdoor Swimming Association, Google will find them and they have a Facebook page. They have members all over the place who might be able to advise on specific locations. I know that people swim in a lot of places on the Thames.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Thanks for all the advice gals and guys.

I'm not planning on doing the whole journey swimming, just the 15m or so from bank to island.

The plan is to put the 40L backpack in a builders bag or a suitably large dry bag and get over pretty damn quickly.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Right I am borrowing an inflatable kayak, I've packed a big bag of stuff.

Tonight (after a post work beer) I shall take to the water with all the grace and finesse of a brick and paddle to an island in the Thames.

Bit nervous as this will be my 1st solo and 1st overnight water journey.

I'll try and get a few pics for prosperity.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I did indeed survive and completely forgot to post results!

I'll try and get round to that this weekend but the highlights were ...

Wet

Cold

Tiring

Thanks for the concern though guys!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE