A resounding failure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ever since I learnt about the sugar cube trick: http://bizarrelabs.com/sugar.htm I've wondered whether you could use plain sugar as solid fuel

Tried it today with white granulated sugar mixed with ash and another batch mixed with powdered charcoal. Didn't work.

I could get a small flame but it didn't spread like a Hexi block, just fizzed a bit and went out. Smells nice, mind...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Mixing it with another fuel like charcoal probably won't help it to burn, but I'd expect that you could make it burn better with some kind of oxidizing agent. If you try it, be careful. That's how explosives are made.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks for your suggestions! I was hoping it could be used as a cheap solid fuel but it appears not. Mixing it with loads of other stuff defeats the object

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Brazil nuts :D
Like a wee candle :cool:

cheers,
M

In Northern Australia we have the Candlenut Tree, which is very similar to a macadamia nut tree.
The nuts (of either) can be threaded onto a piece of wire (or a thin stick) and lit up - like a candle. Many nuts are quite oily and should burn.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Or almonds - they get viciously hot. We use them under small tin foil pans with bacon on at scouts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE