a recent thumbstick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thats brilliant, Steve... love the way you've balanced the designs carved into the wood with the bark left on in areas, really thows them into a natural relief :)

Bet they'll be delighted, I bet you enjoyed doing it too, yer spirits face looks a bit more joy- & purpose- full rather than full of ominous portent :)

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
A very spiritual stick, the stone made me think of Japanese artwork. Its a very fine piece of work matey and i am sure it wil become a treasured possession!

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Have you got one then? G'wan, post it, so we can see the Auld One an judge for ourselves :)

here you go Sal, i dragged it back out of the bin... unsharp

004-2.jpg

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh, thats a glance of foreboding! Anyone coming near the staffs owner best have only good intentions or he'd smite them down with that look, I'm sure! He does have a look of one of the protective spirits that would be left guarding a camp, hugely apt for what he's on :)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
A very spiritual stick, the stone made me think of Japanese artwork. Its a very fine piece of work matey and i am sure it wil become a treasured possession!

thank you bluemerle, yes i have some original ink wash paintings which are very similar in form. funnily enough i have a fine piece of hazel in the shed and my next one, a staff this time i think, will be very spiritual and personal to me with all the right elements involved, may be a keeper. :) looking forward to starting that!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
really good work mate i'm playing with a few sticks myself but i'm a learner and you've given me a few ideas so thanks for that .
could you tell me where you got the end cap from ?

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
really good work mate i'm playing with a few sticks myself but i'm a learner and you've given me a few ideas so thanks for that .
could you tell me where you got the end cap from ?

good stuff mate, look forward to seeing them. :) the end cap is nothing more than a 1.5"diameter piece pf copper pipe. split, drilled and brass nailed onto the staff. :cool:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Do you plan a piece before you begin or does it kinda evolve from the grain and inclusions you reveal as you go on? It'll be interesting seeing the staff that a master makes for himself, do you have ideas for the elements in it or do we have to wait for pics?!

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
That is spectacular and something to be proud of...

nice work Steve.

thank you both very much appreciate your comments. :)

Do you plan a piece before you begin or does it kinda evolve from the grain and inclusions you reveal as you go on? It'll be interesting seeing the staff that a master makes for himself, do you have ideas for the elements in it or do we have to wait for pics?!

hi Sal', i think most carvers will tell you, it doesnt entirely go to your original plan! :D mostly for me anyway different expressions evolve with every cut of the gouge. nothing is really formatted, just a vague idea. :confused:

got a few elements that are going to be included in my own staff that are important to me, and thats as it should be. but no doubt it will change in the making...:rolleyes:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Will you take pics of your progress, please? I love the stone inset so I was fishing to see if that might be one element that we could learn via the masters camera :) Is it done as you described the spindle inlays? With Araldite again?

TedPalmer

Sep 28, 2004
Pacific Northwest USA
wow! fantastic work!!
at the risk of sounding like a dumb yank, :eek: is there a purpose to the forked top, other than a support for a firearm, camera, optics etc?

thanks for your time!
Ted

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
yes similar, depends on the shape really. i will put a couple of pics together for you if it will help. and calling me master people will conjure up images of latex and gimp suits! :D

Will you take pics of your progress, please? I love the stone inset so I was fishing to see if that might be one element that we could learn via the masters camera :) Is it done as you described the spindle inlays? With Araldite again?

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
very logical Ted, and uses i hadnt thought of! :cool: but its called a thumbstick because it provides a comfortable grip with your thumb through the Y. or just use the leather grip as you would a staff, thanks for your comments. :)

wow! fantastic work!!
at the risk of sounding like a dumb yank, :eek: is there a purpose to the forked top, other than a support for a firearm, camera, optics etc?

thanks for time!
Ted

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE