A rather unhelpful article.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
thats a bit worrying ,

I would assume that if there is not enough food for otters then mother nature would naturally reduce there numbers until there is a sustainable level of both fish and otters ,
I guess some of the fisheries don't see it as short term pain for long term gain , any re-introduction will have a negative impact on someone until nature has had her opportunity to bring the correct balance into check , It would be a shame if nature was not let to run her course in this case

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
written by the governments spokesman on `angling` !! I wonder what the government spokesman on otters makes of this ???

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't worry - he's not in the government any more. Indeed it isn't the same government as it was two years ago when that article was written.

Maybe the otters voted them out? They mustelid had a paw in it.

The fish didn't support them. The just Carped about it.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not sure where to start. The "booming numbers" comment is a load of tosh. Numbers recovering would be a better term.
There are easy and cheap methods of keeping them out of fisheries. Christ knows how they deal with cormorant, heron and crayfish.
I visited a local coarse fishery recently to look at their preventative measures.

Here:

Mesh fence.
30012012863.jpg

Small electric fence.
30012012862.jpg

If fishery owners are so worried about their stock perhaps they should protect them better.
Would you leave an expensive car on your driveway with the keys in the ignition? No. It's the same thing.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Hmmm, personally I think more politicians should be shot, nevermind Cormorants or possible calls for culling Otters, the world would be a much better place without them (politicians that is).

I've been a 'fisherman' ever since I could hold a rod, but I prefer to eat what I catch so I guess I'd be as welcome as the Otters on some of these private fisheries. Reckon I'd be more inclined to point the finger at invasive species such as the bloody American Signal Crayfish than natives like the Otter for decimating fish stocks in 'some' areas rivers/lakes.

I'd rather see an Otter munching on a fish it's just caught over an angler having his pic taken with an oversized carp he's just caught anyday, but that's just me I guess, I prefer animals to humans period.

Si

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Don't worry - he's not in the government any more. Indeed it isn't the same government as it was two years ago when that article was written.

Maybe the otters voted them out? They mustelid had a paw in it.

The fish didn't support them. The just Carped about it.

It was a link sent to me.
I'm glad you pointed out the date as I'd not noticed. I feel calmer now. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE