A rare treat!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We had the pleasure of this little fella (or lass!) entertaining us for a good half hour today until it clocked we were about :)

A rare sight even if they are reasonably common (well, in Wales anyway). It really made today into a great day; an uplift of the soul!

View attachment 83814

If ' Mischief ' had a face. Very cute. Jealous of the encounter.

Reactions: Toddy

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
We had the pleasure of this little fella (or lass!) entertaining us for a good half hour today until it clocked we were about :)

A rare sight even if they are reasonably common (well, in Wales anyway). It really made today into a great day; an uplift of the soul!

View attachment 83814
Beautiful; perhaps oddly, we've seen more here (West Carms) in recent years; and sadly in roadkill too... our other mustelid numbers seem pretty constant except badgers, which increase, we've no mink that I know of, otters are back so that probably helps.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Always nice to see something like that. Ive got a pine marten here. I've not seen it but I know its here because of its droppings and the damage it did when it got into my tent once and also I hear it when wakes me up trying to get in during the early hours. It only comes in winter when food is scarce. Its due round next week.

Reactions: GNJC and Broch

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Always nice to see something like that. Ive got a pine marten here. I've not seen it but I know its here because of its droppings and the damage it did when it got into my tent once and also I hear it when wakes me up trying to get in during the early hours. It only comes in winter when food is scarce. Its due round next week.
I am jealous! I've no idea when the martens were last commonly found around here, guessing maybe pre WW2 because of the size of some rotting cage traps a couple of old fellows had in sheds from then. The 'proper' Welsh name is a bit odd in translation, 'tree ball', but I've only heard 'pele' or bele' used.

One fellow, who died I think around 2014, was quite a character and he told of shooting them as a boy when they came in gangs to raid poultry. But I'm not sure how good his memory was by then or how much he may have been fabricating, because martens are pretty solitary. Maybe he was confusing them with stoats, but I don't think so because the name and the animal are so different.

I've never seen one or even seen any evidence of one around here... :(

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I am jealous! I've no idea when the martens were last commonly found around here, guessing maybe pre WW2 because of the size of some rotting cage traps a couple of old fellows had in sheds from then. The 'proper' Welsh name is a bit odd in translation, 'tree ball', but I've only heard 'pele' or bele' used.

One fellow, who died I think around 2014, was quite a character and he told of shooting them as a boy when they came in gangs to raid poultry. But I'm not sure how good his memory was by then or how much he may have been fabricating, because martens are pretty solitary. Maybe he was confusing them with stoats, but I don't think so because the name and the animal are so different.

I've never seen one or even seen any evidence of one around here... :(
They are everywhere here in the west of Ireland as are red squirrels which I see all the time. There are no grey squirrels here and barn owls do slightly better here as there is no competition from the tawny owl.

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Lovely! Very jealous

The last time i saw a badgers fat bum running up the narrow country lane in front of my van for ages completely changed my evening, I was on an evening emergency call out in a right grump until I saw that it cheered me right up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE