A rare and lovely fruit....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I like the red ones myself. Used to have bushes growing randomly round here at one time, all gone now.
When the red ones were perfectly ripe, I'd go and burst the contents into my mouth. Lovely and sweet, and not bitter at all.
Mouth is watering just thinking about unripe ones, eugh......

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with you BR, Goosegogs and raspberries are my favourite fruits and thankfully 'round here there are many feral examples of both to be had. They're not ready up here yet, but the canes and bushes are hanging with wild promise of a good harvest. (Even better the gooseberries are growing in a particularly out of the way place that seemingly I only know the location of (well the birds know too but I always leave some for them).

Yeah a gooseberry crumble or fool are brilliant puds, especially with some rhubarb in the mix too!

Looks like you've a good amount to be tucking into,
Cheers for posting,
GB.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yup, rhubarb, raspberries and goosegogs, the height of English summer food. A well made rhubarb fool is a pud for an emperor.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I got about 4lbs from my little bush that was harvested by my son and I two days ago....some will go with our rhubarb to make crumbles.....there rest will make a very yummy gooseberry cheese cake mmmmm :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I got about 4lbs from my little bush that was harvested by my son and I two days ago....some will go with our rhubarb to make crumbles.....there rest will make a very yummy gooseberry cheese cake mmmmm :)

Ooh, gooseberry cheescake. That sounds lovely :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Got a recipe somewhere?

Here's one I found online:

Ingredients
• 225 g digestive biscuits
• 150 g butter, melted
• 1 kg gooseberries
• 180 g sugar
• 100 ml water
• 300 ml double cream
• 500 g cream cheese
• sachet of powdered gelatine

Method
1. Place the digestives in a food processor and process until they are fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and blend again until thoroughly mixed.

2. Press the mixture firmly into a greased or non-stick 20cm loose-based cake tin.

3. Place the gooseberries in a saucepan with two tablespoons of the sugar and the water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 3-5 minutes until the gooseberries soften and turn lighter in colour.

4. Strain the gooseberries and set aside to cool.

5. In a large bowl whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the remaining sugar, then the cream cheese. Mix in the gelatine.

6. Fold half of the gooseberries into the cream cheese mixture, mixing well.

7. Spread the gooseberry mixture evenly over the biscuit base. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to an hour, until set.

8. Sprinkle over the remaining gooseberries and serve.

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Found mine lol....pretty much the same as the one posted below although mine had 250g digestives and 165g butter for a very slightly thicker base.

Also with mine, you put the biscuits in a plastic bag, wrap them in a tea towel and batter the whatsit out of them with a rolling pin, then tip into a bowl, add the melted butter and mix by hand.

Oh and rather than only putting half the gooseberries in the cheesecake and the rest on top....we put 3/4 of them in the mix and only 1/4 on top.

Enjoy...... :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Found mine lol....pretty much the same as the one posted below although mine had 250g digestives and 165g butter for a very slightly thicker base.

Also with mine, you put the biscuits in a plastic bag, wrap them in a tea towel and batter the whatsit out of them with a rolling pin, then tip into a bowl, add the melted butter and mix by hand.

Oh and rather than only putting half the gooseberries in the cheesecake and the rest on top....we put 3/4 of them in the mix and only 1/4 on top.

Enjoy...... :)

I think I like your better :You_Rock_

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does depend on variety and ripeness - I find red varieties are generally sweeter. Some are so sweet they need no sugar at all :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE