A rare and lovely fruit....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You rarely see a gooseberry in a supermarket these days :( Strange isn't it how that wonderful tart fruit has given way to fruits air freighted and bubble wrapped to us.

Anyway, I think of gooseberry as a "man fruit" - sahrp and biting - great in a crumble (but what isn't?), but lovely in a goosegog fool too.

For those of you forced to eat only what the supermarkets teel you that you can have.....I give you ...the gooseberry!

Gooseberries by British Red, on Flickr

Finished processing 30 odd pounds of them at four o'clock this morning :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do love a goosegog!
My harvest tends to be from "feral" bushes around the lanes as we do not have room for bushes from which my Mrs does not like the fruit ! I love Goosegog wine and Goosegog jam and generally I end up with 1 gall of wine and about six pots of jam per year - but our crop is no where near ripe yet!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I admit to never having tried one. We mostly eat blandberries, they come in all shapes and sizes resembling fruits of the past but all tasting alike.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
My parents used to grow quite a few of these when I was a kid. Not seen any for a while though. They do look like the cucamelons I'm growing at the moment though.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hmm nice,

And what Red said. Anything in Crumble form is heaven sent.

Dessert in my last meal on earth would be rhubarb crumble and proper custard. I’m thinking a few gooseberries in there would not hurt a bit.

My Nan used to grow them and make great gooseberry puddings

You rarely see a gooseberry in a supermarket these days :( Strange isn't it how that wonderful tart fruit has given way to fruits air freighted and bubble wrapped to us.

Anyway, I think of gooseberry as a "man fruit" - sahrp and biting - great in a crumble (but what isn't?), but lovely in a goosegog fool too.

For those of you forced to eat only what the supermarkets teel you that you can have.....I give you ...the gooseberry!

Gooseberries by British Red, on Flickr

Finished processing 30 odd pounds of them at four o'clock this morning :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine have been sawflied this year - but I will not treat the caterpillars whilst there is fruit on - poison and fruit are a poor mix. I do have to nte over the whole bed to keep birds off.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I really miss propa tart goosgogs, we had a wild bush in the garden as kids that was only ever fed by the dog urinating on it and the berries were amazing, best bit was i was the only one who liked them so every year they were all mine, one i had a tuperware full despite me scoffing handfuls as i am picking i'd get me old gel to mek is a propa crumble and have it with vanilla ice cream, realising here I just had a full on flashback with smells the lot after looking at your baskets full, bought a punnet from Asda a few years back and they were not hairy or tart and done nowt for me

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Do you need any part time labourers BR who you could pay in Gooseberry crumble?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could have done with someone when it took me till 4am to process and can them all. Got 28 jars of gooseberry crumble filling now - thats one crumble every 14 days for a year :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Could have done with someone when it took me till 4am to process and can them all. Got 28 jars of gooseberry crumble filling now - thats one crumble every 14 days for a year :)

Trades maybe? I am trying to think if i have anything suitable as a swap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE