A quickie about slowworms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've just been reading through a book on google books for info about how to attracting and accomodate wildlife to my allotment plot. Obviously predatory insects are very desirable, as are hedgehogs (which I believe eat slugs) and so on...

...one thing stood out though - apparently slow worms like the warmth of a compost heap. Not only would they be good for keeping the number of slugs down, and nice to have around, but I understand they have some sort of legal protection.
So, are there times when I shouldn't be turning the heap just in case there are slow worms in there? Is there a way to tend to the heap without injuring/killing them?

I wouldn't be happy with them eating the earthworms on my plot, but I guess if I'm going for the organic approach and like the idea of providing habitat for wildlife as well as food for myself I should get used to the idea that some of my beneficial creatures will be prey too.

Cheers.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Sloworms do not create there own body heat, they are exothermic, so a compost heap producing heat is a great habitat for them. I looked into this years ago, my next door neibour had a hole dug beneath his compost heap so they could do there thing but also rise into the heap for food and heat.

He did however put a small escape ditch for them as they do not like to much shade and love to bask in the summer heat.

As far as i am aware they are protected in scotland but need to research to see if they are in other areas.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
depends where you are. you say manchester, I know they are `common` so to speak but ive never ever seen one in the garden.

BushTucker - ever had any trouble with the adders?

The hole and ditch idea in the compost heap sounds pretty good. I can't quite picture it though. I have been thinking about trying to make my compost bins in such a way that the liquid that usually seeps out into the ground is caught for me to use as a liquid fertiliser though and I'm not sure how that would work with making a slow worm friendly heap like your neighbour has. That said, I'm not really sure how I'd do that anyway so that may not be an issue.

Firecrest - the allotment is in Blackley. Kinda urban surroundings but the site is in a large-ish green space.

Robin - I know it's unlikely (though now I've typed that I'm almost certain someone my dad knows has seen some around here somewhere) - I'm asking more for "just in case" than anything else.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All I got in my compost heap was a nest of rats!

Blood and bone and finely diced ratmeat makes a pretty good fertiliser though!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Did someone call? :lol:

We've shared our garden with loads of slow-worms for several years now. A piece of corrugated iron or the black rubbery water butt lids are great for attracting them as it gives them somewhere warm to hide under and bring themselves up to temp. You shouldn't be too tidy as they need someone to escape predators, so in a garden setting it's ideal to leave some long grass near hedges etc, no problem with our 'wild life friendly' or as some would say messy garden.

As for composts, I often find a large one in them when I empty them (I use the large shaped darlek bins). I remove the bin and gently push the compost over so they can escape. Then I use a fork to mix or move the compost, I've never hurt one. If you can I'd avoid moving a heap in late summer, about now, as that's when the females give birth to live young.

As for legal protection, I gather they are protected so you can't intentionally harm them.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yip they are protected, but as Sloworm says as long as your carefull and avoid breeding season no one wil be knocking on your door. They are definately around Manchester - being one of the commoner of the 4 common species. But it does depends where you are a lot of 'good' habitat just doesnt have them in.

As for legal protection, I gather they are protected so you can't intentionally harm them.

And the fact such a law is needed is just sick. Intentionally? Perish the thought!

I can't imagine there will be much call for compost at this time of year so they'll be left well enough alone.

I might ask around some of the folk who make their own compost (surprisingly, a far few don't) and see if any have seen them in their heaps. If so I'll keep an eye out and if I find one I'll shift it to the second bin so it doesn't end up homeless. I'll be running a 2-bin system y'see.

It's nice to hear there are some around this way - I'd love to see one. I'll be doing all I can to be nice to them though... I don't expect anyone knocking on the door.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I live in the North West and have seen plenty of Sloworms in my area (not too far from Manchester). My mums cat used to bring them home alive from the railway at the back of her house.

Nice to learn something new, they are clearly more widely distributed than I htought. I had a look at the distribution map here http://data.nbn.org.uk/interactive/map.jsp?srchSp=23867

and there are a couple of records from the Huddersfield area so Blackley is a possibility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE