A quick shrink pot tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Ok, I have become excited about shrink pots lately. A shrink pot is a container that is made from a hollowed log of green wood. The bottom is made to fit the inside of the hollowed log and inserted into a groove that is cut near the bottom end. The green wood will shrink and lock around the bottom, resulting in a nice watertight container. They are fun to make and do not require much tools. I use a drill, a spoon knife and a knife for them. For materials you`ll need a bit of green round wood to make the actual pot, and another bit to make a board with for the bottom. This board is ideally made out of dried wood, but using green wood can also be done. Radial shrinkage is a lot higher anyway, and the wood will lock itself in place fine. For the pot in this tutorial I used an apple branch and oak for the bottom.

First cut the wood to length and drill a hole through the middle. I use a powerdrill and a 25mm flatbit, but it could of course also be done with an auger or handpowered drill. This hole will help the spoonknife bite a lot and will speed the whole thing up a lot.
2013-11-11+19.35.40.jpg

2013-11-11+19.41.21.jpg

Then start hollowing it out. Keep the wall thickness even throughout the pot.
2013-11-11+19.45.20.jpg

2013-11-11+20.34.37.jpg

As you can see in the last picture I was too eager with the hollowing. I pushed it when it was still too narrow and snapped the tip of my spoon knife. :banghead: My own stupid mistake. When the walls are thin enough for your liking it is time to think about the groove. I do not think there is a rule for wall thickness. Thicker walls will press on the bottom plate tighter when they shrink, but that also brings the risk of the bottom shifting or cracking in the drying process higher. I haven`t made enough of these to give sound advice from experience yet. I have, however, seen a lot of these on the net, and for this size (10 cm high, 8cm wide) a 1cm wall seems fair. I did not count the bark with the wallthickness, because that bark does not add to the structure of the pot and is only there to look rustic.

For the groove: determine what side will be the bottom and draw a line evenly spaced along the inside. The groove needs to have minimal 'wobble' because it needs to accomodate a flat plate later.

2013-11-11+21.11.45.jpg

2013-11-11+21.12.34.jpg

Then, with your knife, cut over the line like this:

2013-11-11+21.14.20.jpg

Of the following step I couldn`t get a picture while alone. Words will have to suffice. Coming from the bottom, make a cut angled 45 degrees from the cut you just made that meets this first cut, and remove the wood. This will form a groove on the inside of the pot with a sharp edge near the top side. The bottom plate will rest against this edge later. Here is the groove, in a terrible picture.

2013-11-11+21.26.33.jpg

This groove really is only two mm or so deep. The bottom plate will only barely fit through the bottom diameter of the pot anyways, and this groove is there to catch the plate once it is pushed in. If it will stop the plate from being pushed back out then the groove is good.

Now for making the plate. I cleaved a 2mm thick board from some oak I had. As I said before, cleaving a board from the wood you also had to make the pot from is fine. Just make sure there is no pith in there. Put the pot on the board and with a pencil mark the inner diameter. I find it helpful to mark the board and the pot with a line, to remember the orientation of the shape later. Then comes the fiddly bit: carve the bottom down to just fit into to pot.
2013-11-11+21.41.12.jpg

This really is just trying and carving and trying. It helps to taper the edges of the bottom down, like if it would have been a tiny little bullroarer.
2013-11-11+22.00.07.jpg

When you finally have the bottom to a fit where you can just about push it in, use your knifehandle to tap it into place. It will click into the groove.
2013-11-11+22.37.35.jpg

Then all that is left is to trim the edges on the top and there you have it! A shrink pot.
2013-11-11+22.42.48.jpg

2013-11-11+22.43.03.jpg

I might take the bark of this one later, because it makes it look a bit thick. I`ll leave it to dry just in my room. The care that needs to be taken when drying kuksas is not necessary here. Most of the stress in drying wood comes from the inner rings. Here we only have the outermost layer of a branch and I do not think the chance that it`ll split is very high.

When it is dried I shall make a fitting lid.

I hope this little write-up was helpful. It is mostly meant to inspire folk to have a go. Shrinkpots are useful, fun, and relatively quick to make. And very rewarding.

Greetings,
Two Socks

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done :approve: clear and tidy write up and photos too :cool: Lot of folks will be pleased to see this thread.

Thank you :) and sorry about the knife :/

atb,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great tutorial, written and explained very clearly, thanks very much for this. I'm intrigued by these and will have to have a go....

BTW, I've always ground a fair bit of that over-long tip from the Mora spoon knives, it's very weak and in my experience the knife is far more usable without.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Hey now that looks like something I could do... when I find some suitable bits and a little time I might have a bash.

Nice idea and well done for sharing.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice One... will have to get some green wood me thinks.. I can see loads of these being shown.... :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys. I`m glad this seems to inspire some people to make one.

BTW, I've always ground a fair bit of that over-long tip from the Mora spoon knives, it's very weak and in my experience the knife is far more usable without.

Yes, it is still fully functional this way, but I used that tip quite a bit to perform lefty-tasks. Time to get myself a lefthander I think.

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
Thanks for posting. This is great inspiration for a future project - I look forward to trying it.

Out of interest, how long does it take for the shrinkage to occur?

Ringo

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
This one took about a week and a half to shrink and seal itself. The time it takes can vary depending on wall-thickness, species used, wether or not the bark is left on etc. It will need some time though, it doesn`t happen over night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE