A Quick Quiz- New Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Are they seal plugs?

I seem to recollect that seal hunters used to inflate seals with air to make them buoyant so they'd need a plug for that

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Your recollection is quite right too.

It is indeed a seal plug. Pushed into the throat to keep the lung inflated. Well done.

Could you expand on the reason they used them ?? i`m thinking to keep the seal afloat while dragging it behind a canoe on a hunting trip ?? tried to google it but it put me onto B&Q radiator seal plugs?? :) :lol:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Floats on spear ropes for whaling. The badly wounded narwhales, etc can't dive against the buoyancy of the inflated seals.
I'll invent other facts if you like.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I think these are brewing sticks. You carve them, then soak one in an ale wort that is already fermenting nicely. Over time, the grain of the wood absorbs yeast cells and when introduced into new wort they help ensure a consistent brew. It was believed that a magical creature the 'Brugjeman' (The Brew Man) lived in them, and my guess is that the carved heads represent him. Never seen one but have heard about them. Apparently they were popular in Holland, Denmark and North Germany as wedding gifts to newly married couples.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Could you expand on the reason they used them ?? i`m thinking to keep the seal afloat while dragging it behind a canoe on a hunting trip ?? tried to google it but it put me onto B&Q radiator seal plugs?? :) :lol:

They were used to plug the wound of a seal that they had killed to stop blood loss (blood being highly nutritious) and as Gary said to block inflated so they could float the seal back to their camp.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Your recollection is quite right too.

It is indeed a seal plug. Pushed into the throat to keep the lung inflated. Well done.

Ah. Did think it might have been animal related, but more of a contraceptive device, LOL.

Gallus

Nov 17, 2014
Essex
How did this conversation come so far without anyone mentioning something about "double-ended" dirty fun?

On a more serious note, if the fishermen used this to inflate the lungs of the seal, what did they use to stop all that air just rushing back out?

All in all, the ingenuity of Man always startles me.

Sent from my JY-S3 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
How did this conversation come so far without anyone mentioning something about "double-ended" dirty fun?

Because no one felt the need to lower the tone until now :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, if the fishermen used this to inflate the lungs of the seal, what did they use to stop all that air just rushing back out?

They didn't use these to inflate the lungs... they used them as plugs to stop the air coming back out.

That's why they're call Seal Plugs

Gallus

Nov 17, 2014
Essex
Because no one felt the need to lower the tone until now :rolleyes:

They didn't use these to inflate the lungs... they used them as plugs to stop the air coming back out.

That's why they're call Seal Plugs
Oh, the cruising altitude of my tone can only be measured by moles...

:p

Sent from my JY-S3 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE