A Quick Quiz- New Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We've just come back from a research trip to Copenhagen.

These are something we saw in a great museum there.

Quiz-One.jpg

No prizes to win, but just wondering if anyone can work out what they are used for.

I'll give a fresh clue each day if it takes long enough.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
With the taper and ridges, looks like a plug for something... ?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Pegs to hold cordage for marking out area, i.e. measuring plots of ground, lengths of buildings, ships etc.?

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Wayland is being mean by not giving us a sense of scale, meany.

The opposing grooves would suggest that something is wrapped around, the grooves providing secure binding so the fur, leather or whatever is wrapped can not move and is held securely.

The two are of different size, one having 4 grooves and one 6 grooves but the space between the grooves looks to be very similar to both, which suggests the middle part is the active bit.

The carved heads don't look like handles as such and look uncomfortable to grip and don't suggest a rotary motion in use.

As for purpose I have no idea, could be children's toys, or indeed stoppers of some kind as the material could be wrapped to give any diameter, maybe for water bottles.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Are they the tuning pegs from a stringed instrument like a lute/guitar/violin? :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Rustee

Forager
Oct 9, 2014
Edge of The Wilds
The carved face on the end makes me think of a tribal mask.
Something tribal that might be blessed with spiritual power to be used for gathering or hunting yet designed to hold something secure....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The scale is about right on my screen. There is a slight curve to them which is difficult to see from the angle I've shot them from. That's one of the limitations of shooting through glass cases.

They were in the Ethnographic collection rather than the Archaeology if that helps any.

Quiz-Two.jpg

In this area as a matter of fact.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE