A Quick Quiz- New Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rustee

Forager
Oct 9, 2014
Edge of The Wilds
Rather does look like a fine upside down chef's hat yet I don't think it's a hat and it's not ceremonial either and generally small bags hold tinder, tobacco, medicine and such. It appears to be a larger sized bag and it's not waterproof to hold liquid. Fascinating choice of material with what looks to be bird foot skin. I'll play on the safe side this time and go with a "gathering storage bag" of sorts and I think it would hold something 'dry'.

I would want to hold it, smell it and look for any remaining visible crumbs inside to identify exactly what it held yet I'd guess that it smells like something gathered from the woods.

@Wayland, thanks for sharing your photos. You must of had quite a bit of fun viewing this fine collection. Cheers. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think Steve has it right.

Sadly many of the artefacts in this section were unlabelled.

I'm not sure about the egg bit but it seems very plausible. It was in a section with other bags so not a hat John, and some of the bags contained dried moss, possibly for stuffing or protecting something delicate.

You are spot on about the birds feet. They are indeed webbed birds feet combined with depilated seal skin for the rest of the bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think Steve has it right.

Sadly many of the artefacts in this section were unlabelled.

I'm not sure about the egg bit but it seems very plausible. It was in a section with other bags so not a hat John, and some of the bags contained dried moss, possibly for stuffing or protecting something delicate.

You are spot on about the birds feet. They are indeed webbed birds feet combined with depilated seal skin for the rest of the bag.

No way!
The hat was in the wrong section! It is obviously a hat! Would not anyone want to wear that in the woods - bag indeed!
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE