A quick and dirty table

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
About 5 weeks ago the site managers at work took down a very large non-native maple. For reasons best known to themselves they sliced it into rounds, and left it all on the ground.

Having some time before a work fundraising event at which I was selling some woodenware, I went round and had a play with some of this wood, much to the amusement of passers by and those working in adjacent offices.

The wood, after 5 weeks exposed to the elements.
IMGP1313.jpg

Step 1, scotch eyed auger, and a lot of effort (resulting in six blisters on my right hand). The wood is very hard.
IMGP1309.jpg

Step 2, sawed three branches to equal lengths, and used my kent pattern axe to hack a taper on one end to make three legs (no pics)

Step 3, hammer the legs into the holes with a bigger bit of branch. Total time involved, 45 minutes.
IMGP1310.jpgIMGP1311.jpgIMGP1312.jpg

With the stall. Moving it was hard work, as this is a lot of wood, and I'm tall, pale and puny.
IMGP1314.jpg

Sold it for a tenner (cheapskates!), but I have a commission to make at least 2 more, to be purchased for £20. I'll use a power drill next time.

P.S. That's the only time I've ever been able to take an axe to work :cool:

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not much interest in this thread. I knew I should have posted the pic of the pretty girl from Admin who I persuaded to let me take a picture of her posing on the table (for advertising purposes, I told her ;))

The table isn't a thing of beauty, but it is solid. Might make myself one as a garden work surface.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shame they cut the rounds so thin, though I suppose they're at firewood depth ? Would have made a brilliant garden chopping block otherwise :D

It's a cool idea of a " Flintstone Table " :D

cheers,
Toddy

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Girl from Admin?

Call me shallow, but my thoughts exactly. :lmao:

Sweet looking table nonetheless. That would indeed make a fine craft workbench. Bit like a wooden anvil I'm guessing.

Paul, my mate who makes fancy jewellery boxes and pens, ( http://www.ridgeway-woodcraft.co.uk/ ) got given some maple planks a few weeks ago and I can testify that suff is hard. Well done for using a hand auger... hope the blisters heal soon.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Very resourceful there! I love quick and very useful ideas. Especially of the guerilla-greenwood working breed :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just resurrecting this thread to say I made another one of these today, with thicker and better legs, made from apple. Sold to a work colleague's mum.

IMGP1673.jpg

I like this one better than the original.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE