A question for you archers, which bow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi all,

I'm already planning what to spend my Christmas money on, and fancy getting a bow :)

I've done target and field archery once, so still a bit of a noob!

I'm looking for a good quality bow, that will shoot over a decent distance, and still pack a punch, to be used for field archery.

I would like the bow to be collapsable for storage, or carrying in the rucksack if needed - trouble is, i don't have a clue about what is good or bad! I've had a look on ebay, and some are really expensive (£400) and some are cheap (£90), i'm thinking around the £100 to £200 mark & don't mind buying second hand if it means getting a better bow :)

Thanks in advance

James

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd advise you go to shop/maker with a shooting range bows are very personal thing

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
As a recent archer myself, I will offer a little guidance, that was given to me. I went to 3riversarchery.com. They are based in the US. The have a collapsible bow, called the Samick Sage. You can get the limbs in various weights. This was recommended to me by many, many folks. They have been used for hunting and target practicing. ITs a 3 piece takedown bow. I spent less than $200 on it, and am VERY satisfied. I got the package that included several upgrades, plus I got a string upgrade, and had them put the riser felt on, and put the nock on. Again, all less than $200 American. I have been VERY happy with this bow since I purchased it over the summer. They are very knowledgeable there as well, and were quick to answer any questions I had. They are staffed by bowhunters, so, they kind of know their gear :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
As a recent archer myself, I will offer a little guidance, that was given to me. I went to 3riversarchery.com. They are based in the US. The have a collapsible bow, called the Samick Sage. You can get the limbs in various weights. This was recommended to me by many, many folks. They have been used for hunting and target practicing. ITs a 3 piece takedown bow. I spent less than $200 on it, and am VERY satisfied. I got the package that included several upgrades, plus I got a string upgrade, and had them put the riser felt on, and put the nock on. Again, all less than $200 American. I have been VERY happy with this bow since I purchased it over the summer. They are very knowledgeable there as well, and were quick to answer any questions I had. They are staffed by bowhunters, so, they kind of know their gear :)

Thanks, I'll check them out :)

Sent from myPhone

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Your very welcome to borrow my Samick mind if you want Trunks
Its only 20 pound pull but I think that the grip will be similar to other samicks so might be worth a try?
Atb
Ben

Sent using the force

Cam Lees

Jul 30, 2012
Suffolk
Quicks archery are the boys and girls to go to (no affiliation just impressed). I've recently become a GNAS Archery leader and have been so impressed with he service from hem. They also have a range for you to try things out if you go to the shop. Great online service too.
Bow wise yes a take down recurve is good but if you want a great little bow a student had a samick skb Korean bow and I was quie impresse. Hope this helps sorry about the rant, always happy to answer questions if you want, just drop me a pm! :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There is Aardvark archery in Leeds. They dont have a range but could help fit you up with draw weight and length.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would try and get to a shop rather than ordering something without trying it first. Must be a place nearby or make a day out of it if a little further. When starting out its good to get a bow where you can change the limbs to a higher draw weight as you progress. Start with all day comfy rather than tired or wobbly after a few dozen arrows. Bow pulling muscles are used for little else besides and will get tired quickly. Killing your accuracy, attention and enjoyment.

Then when you have your form and draw weight and decide carry on the sport I can make you a proper one ;)

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks for all the sound advice chaps :)

There is Aardvark archery in Leeds. They dont have a range but could help fit you up with draw weight and length.

I think i'll go over the Christmas holidays, thanks Johnny

After having a look about some of the web pages, what exactly is the difference between a compound bow & recurve in terms of power, accuracy etc?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Your very welcome to borrow my Samick mind if you want Trunks
Its only 20 pound pull but I think that the grip will be similar to other samicks so might be worth a try?
Atb
Ben

Sent using the force

Cheers Ben, i might take you up on that :)

hedgedruid

Jun 23, 2011
East Lancashire UK
if you can visit archeryworld ,web site listed previous , they are just outside preston literally just off M65 . They have a range where you can try bows and are very helpful . You will be able to see the difference between a cheap bow and more expensive ones , not to say a cheaper bow may suit . Good shooting .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE