A Question for Toddy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Good morning Mary.

A few years ago, I was watching a program about an archeological dig where they found some stone age remains.
Among the find were a few pieces of bone or antler, slightly longer than a palm's width and with a hole in one end. The presenter explained that these things were a bit of a mystery, as they were quite common, but archeologists couldn't think what their purpose was.
The best guess that they had at the time was that they were used to get a better grip on cordage, with the cord going through the hole at the end and the remainder used as a handle.

Are you aware if there has been any further research or ideas regarding these artifacts?
I've tried Google, but as I can't remember what they're called I didn't get very far. Typing "bone" into Google can take you to some distracting websites too...

Cheers, Michael.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
That was a Time Team episode where they were excavating some caves by the side of a road going through a pass of some form wasn't it?

Grebby

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
yep , it was the Cheddar gorge and the boney bits are called "baton de commandment" according to the website and their use is still unknown :) again according to the website !

I enjoyed the episode as it had the Maquis of Bath trying to pretend he was interested in archeology and not just the students digging in the cave LOL

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The type of artefact you mean is called a "bâton de commandement" or "bâton percé". As far as I know, they're still very mysterious. Some think they're spear throwers, or used with cordage, or parts of horse bridles... The best description I can find at the moment is from Rock-art and art mobilier of the British Upper Palaeolithic [P Pettitt, P Bahn - Art as metaphor: the prehistoric rock-art of Britain, 2007], pages 17 and 18. There is also a wikipedia article: Bâton de commandement, which focuses mainly on the spear-thrower hypothesis. However, I'm not sure how compatible that idea is with the pattern of breakage described by Pettitt and Bahn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Gregorach said :D

The only other uses that I had heard was as a spear staightener or a cord twister. I don't think wear analysis backed up the latter suggestion though,

However, I have another personal observation suggestion.

I have always had incredibly (optomotrist's words :rolleyes:) good visual acuity.
But, I'm getting older, and instead of being able to focus on the smallest of details, I am becoming long sighted. If I make a clenched fist and open it just enough to look through, my sight is restored as I close the other eye and focus through that tiny aperture. Very weird, but it's making me look at such small orifices with interest.
The Shaman was always believed to see further, maybe it's not the chieftains staff.

cheers,
Toddy

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I don't buy the spear straightener hypothesis. I've straightened a couple of sticks in my time, and I really don't see how such an artefact would help in the process. I could be wrong, of course...

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Personally I use one just like that to hold the shaft of the bow drill in place, I have a terrible time with it bouncing out just when I'm getting an ember, I place the hole where the depression is, then the handle bit along the board, then with a bare foot, hold them all down and drill like my life depended on it. The spindle doesn't pop out!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
They're almost certainly not bearings (at least, they almost certainly weren't actually used as such) - they don't have the right wear patterns, and they usually have quite fine incised decoration in and around the hole. Also, there's no evidence of smoke or scorching.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Having seen used and used myself a knife lanyard hole as a "Blow poker" I can see it used as an aid to fire-craft in days gone past, were it for shamanism or the like, I'm sure it would be less common.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
That dig was near to Kent's Cavern, right?

Perhaps it was used by the men of the tribe when they couldn't get a... hang on this is a family site...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE