A Question for those who have a Swag or Bedroll.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm thinking of making a bedroll, based on the Duluth design ( like this one on the bay at the moment, no connection etc: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/duluth-pa...s_SleepingMats_Airbeds_CA&hash=item4aafaef63e ).

The question I have for anyone that has one or something similar, is this: Do your feet get squashed without having a shaped footbox? I was thinking of putting one on the bedroll that I want to make, but I don't want to add needless complication if it is not required.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a 6" wall sewn in on my DIY plans Michael, when I eventually get round to it.

I'm trying to remember how the Duluth worked when I had one for a few days. I think the zip is up on the top rather than right on the edge, it kind of gives a bit of a wall effect when you're in there.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
because they are the same size top and bottom,your shoulders and chest being more area than your feet you have plenty of room at the foot end,when i made mine i made it so i had plenty of room to move about(got a goretex bivi and the thing i dont like about it is the claustrophobia it gives me around the shoulder area) mine was a basic rectangle folded down the middle stitched at the bottom,and eyelet and tape fastening up the open side with a stitched envelope at the top for putting kit to form a pillow,and to roll it all up in to when not in use,if that makes sense.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks very much Andy, you've just saved me lots of needless complication. This is especially welcome, as I'm so new to this I'm even going to have to ask my sister how to thread her sewing machine.
It makes complete sense though; I don't recall ever having my feet squashed when I used rectangular sleeping bags as a kid.

Al the best, Michael.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Glad it helped, just make sure you give yourself plenty of room in the shoulder,specially if using canvas due to the weight,i used canvas from a military tent quite heavy stuff,so you need the extra room to move about freely.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Hi Cumbrian,

It sounds as if you've already got your answer, but just in case, Google Saul Swags. The site will give you approx dimensions, (actual width of my own is 1070mm or 3ft 6in). For what it's worth, swags are extremely popular down here in Aussie. I've seen countless different variations on the theme, but for a simple 'bedroll' type, (as opposed to a 'tiny tent' type), the Saul Swag is the best design I've come across so far - better than the Duluth, which I have previously owned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE