A question for the over 40's (or so)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lots of chat about kit, and as I'm a certain 'age' I thought I'd ask other members, perhaps forty years old or above what kit they started out with all those years ago. I'm not saying it was better, in fact I'm postive it was heavier, but I thought it would be interesting to have a walk down memory lane.

So, what was your 'Ye Oldie' kit list from the 60's-70's and 80's? Include typical food/menu if possible

Jan 22, 2006
uk
well, I'm not quite 40, but I'd say I'm in the bracket...

my stuff was all Millets cheapest!! My sleeping bag was awful maybe cost £10, but around the fire it was fine, even with the terrible zip, too short for me, pretty thin and generaly just rubbish. But I didnt know it at the time, so it was all good! I bought a £3 orange 'survival' bag and used it as a liner to keep the wet out...although the condensation wasn't too nice...

In terms of bushcraft kit, it didn't really exist in my world, you just wore your warmest clothes and took a sauce pan to warm up water for a brew etc. Tin mug, packet of sos rolls to keep you going, few tins of beans etc. Fishing rod to catch trout if it was possible.

It was (and still is) all about observing wildlife for me though.

I had a scout style knife (although I was never in anything like that unfortunately) and made it up as I went along.

Its served me well, I have to say, to me attitude is essential for staying out longer than a day or so.

Nowadays I have some petty nice kit, but to be honest, I dont really care about it. Not bothered at all about knives etc - just a tools to me to be respected and looked after, so they look after me.

The only thing I still have is a fleece made by Vango thats been everywhere with me - I still take it out. Probably the single best thing I've ever bought!! that was £8 in a sale in Millets

When i was a kid camping with my dad in the 70's we used alu framed rucksacks, an old lightweight orange nylon "mountain tent", very light 2 man job, but we could'nt afford a flysheet so we made one from heavy plastic and tape and when that blew away we usead a lorry tarp. sleeping bags big rectangular nylon brown and lime green sleeping bag, no insulation on ground. UK army mess tins for cooking, old rusty gaz stove, food mainly tins of beans, soup, french stick and jam, plenty coffee and dried milk! Boots, steel toecap mining boots and tackety boots (old ammo boots). Waterproofs, cheap workies oilskins. Knife, bowie knife, huge.

I learned quick...

In the eighties I spent a considerable time of no fixed abode and all my belongings went into a huge blacks rucksack, for years i used an old 58 pat poncho and bag studded on and then got an extra poncho to stud onto it to make a 2 poncho shelter. First use of karimat My cooking kit was firelighters for emergency, fires and a ww2 patt mess tin, waterproofs were poncho then yachting yellow oilskin smock, later on bought army pu coated waterproofs. Winter kit was button collour grey German? army pullover, moleskin trousers, army mao suit, wool gloves and mariglolds ontop! Plastic bags inside bots for dryness, sometimes used bubble wrap for insulation if I could get it. Food , mainly porridge oats, made with hot water and some sugar, or if lucky, mixed with custard powder in the winter, suplimented with roadkill rabbits, rice and bread and cheese, coffee. Potatoes/seasonal field veg on fire...Knife...SAK and opinel.

Hard times, very hard times...by the gods a good learning experience!

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Good idea for a thread!

Three things of note from the 70s when I first started spending LOTS of time far and away:

1) I used an (already old and battered) canvas external frame backpack (Camptrails brand for the US members) and cobbled together a padded belt for it. The pockets tied shut, so you had to pay attention to inner bags or you might lose things.

I now use a very high end custom made (Dan McHale) internal frame backpack -- it's about as great a pack as one could ask for in an internal frame. But still, for the last year I've been thinking more and more about returning to an external frame.

One of the main reasons is I tend to gather materials when backpacking -- I come back with a heavier pack that I leave with. And external frames offer better lashing opportunities.

I also like getting some space between the bag and your back. I even like the creaking sound of external frames.

Because I tend to go *very* light on gear -- sub 24 lbs for a week out -- I'm actually thinking of making my own small capacity eternal frame pack -- with attachments for exactly what I carry normally. My system is fairly stable for many years now and I reckon I can go with less of a pack if I design/build it myself.

My guess is I shall go back to external frames this year -- everything old is new again.

2) wool blanket then for mild weather, used air force arctic down mummy bag for cold weather. Now I use a lighter wool blanket and a down quilt for all conditions -- much better than the old days. Hated that damn mummy bag...

3) canvas tarp or plastic tube tent then. It worked. The plastic tube tent cost US $1.99 then and one was good for about a week in the field. It made you careful about cleaning the ground beneath you. The canvas tarp was used most of the time, but it was heavy as hell. Now: silnylon tarp usually and tyvek ground cloth. Much better!

Food: ramen, pasta, rice, instant soup, granola, jerky, peanut butter and jelly, spam (yes...ick...). More or less the same now, only the jerky is soy and the spam is only in my in-box.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My first time out i had a grey canvas rucksack,similar to the old 37 pattern large pack but cheap civy quality, a couple of wool/pink felt blankets nicked out of the airing cupboard,my normal clothes,and some tins out of the cupboard, nothing to heat the contents,me and a mate got a train over to Buxton not sure where we got off just walked till it looked a nice spot,and slept in the woods, thank god it didnt rain and that it was summer otherwise i wouldnt probably be posting this. i was about 15.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
When i was a kid camping with my dad in the 70's we used alu framed rucksacks, an old lightweight orange nylon "mountain tent", very light 2 man job, but we could'nt afford a flysheet so we made one from heavy plastic and tape and when that blew away we usead a lorry tarp. sleeping bags big rectangular nylon brown and lime green sleeping bag, no insulation on ground. UK army mess tins for cooking, old rusty gaz stove, food mainly tins of beans, soup, french stick and jam, plenty coffee and dried milk! Boots, steel toecap mining boots and tackety boots (old ammo boots). Waterproofs, cheap workies oilskins. Knife, bowie knife, huge.

I learned quick...

In the eighties I spent a considerable time of no fixed abode and all my belongings went into a huge blacks rucksack, for years i used an old 58 pat poncho and bag studded on and then got an extra poncho to stud onto it to make a 2 poncho shelter. First use of karimat My cooking kit was firelighters for emergency, fires and a ww2 patt mess tin, waterproofs were poncho then yachting yellow oilskin smock, later on bought army pu coated waterproofs. Winter kit was button collour grey German? army pullover, moleskin trousers, army mao suit, wool gloves and mariglolds ontop! Plastic bags inside bots for dryness, sometimes used bubble wrap for insulation if I could get it. Food , mainly porridge oats, made with hot water and some sugar, or if lucky, mixed with custard powder in the winter, suplimented with roadkill rabbits, rice and bread and cheese, coffee. Potatoes/seasonal field veg on fire...Knife...SAK and opinel.

Hard times, very hard times...by the gods a good learning experience!
you realy must have some story to tell

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Not quite 40, but il have a go.

I remember when we was kids, think bushcraft was called survival back then, and camouflage everything was all the rage. I remember having an old cobmaster rucksack, external frame and a shelf to store my huge sleepingbag. . . that were a square type one, brown and orange and nights out were proper cold. Had an old bit of lightweight tarpalin but we used to gather stones in corners cos it didnt have loops or eyelets. We was really big on snares and traps, so food was usually roast rabbit and baked beans, left overs went into the old catering tin cooking pot with snare wire bale. clothes was just what we had with maybe a cheap camouflage jacket, or whatever was cheapest at surplus shop. and my knife was one of those cheap wood n brass locknives

had a brilliant time :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Rik, some things are best forgotten for a reason, but now that you've brought it up....
First tent was a play tent which I sewed the groundsheet into - but even then I was too tall for it and poked out of the bottom, which necessitated the bottom of the "Army & Navy Store" special sleeping bag going inside a fertiliser bag to keep dry.
Cooking was over a gas stove or hexi - if we could get it, in a pot from Mums kitchen. Rucksack was a blue canvas affair which I've forgotten the name of, but someone will know it. Clothes consisted of Dads cast off corduroy trousers, shortened to breeches when I got too tall and Grandma's brilliant woolly knitted jumpers. Waterproof were Dads work gear and hideously huge in bright orange.
I think everyone of our age knows the type of Bowie style sheath knife with a stacked leather handle, in a sheath with a strap and a pop fastener halfway up the handle.

The skillset was called "Backwoodsmanship" back then and is, I think, a better description of what some of us do - but its one heck of a mouthfull to pronounce.

ATB

Ogri the trog

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
well my 2p worth was a used frey bentos pie tin with a make shift handle bolted on as a frying pan for sausages that was cooked over a roaring fire surrounded by stones that was only good for charcoaling food and burning your arm ( amazing how you could do those things back then nowadays it seems like playstation rule )my brew was always cadbury choc break so needed nothing other than adding hot water
used to take a pigs knuckle in brown paper with me to suck on the fat/salt - heaven

oh and if i was lucky a tin of heinz beans with sausages

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
What a good question, brought back many happy memories.

I joined the Police Cadets in 1982 and we were lucky enough to get paid to do all this stuff and to be issued with all the kit!!

Tents? We didn't get a tent for a long time. We got given a 'survival' bag, so named because if you survived the night in one you'd done well. Most of them had holes in them which was lucky as it let the condensation out.

For a stove we were given a Trangia which was, and still is a great bit of kit although I haven't got one now.

Clothing consisted of woollen police issue trousers cut off at the knees with a string threaded through the hem. These sat nicely on top of a pair of thick woollen socks. Boots were new army DPM? boots, guaranteed to give you blisters in the Land Rover before we reached the moor. On top we wore a nice cotton singlet under a blue, crew neck, NATO sweater. This was topped off with a red kagoul which once again left you wetter if you wore it than if you left it in the rucksack. And, whilst I'm thinking of rucksacks, they weighed a ton and had a lovely aluminium frame that bounced around all over the placed unless you walked at snails pace. I don't know if there was such a thing as a waist belt in those days but, if there was, we never knew about them.

When we were eventually issued with a tent, it was a Vango Force 10 cotton affair. Great for four people but weighed another ton after a night out. At least the poles weighed the same the following day. :D

Sleeping bags seemed good at the time but they were cotton filled with feathers and, you've guessed it, weighed a ton after a night out.

All in all, it's not surprising that the second and third days of a trip were always harder than the first.

Having said all that, we had some fantastic times. We never knew any better and what what better way to earn a living than to spend days on end tramping through some of the most beautiful scenery in the South West of England and Wales. Shame we didn't appreciate it so much at the time.

Thanks for letting me spend a few minutes in memory lane. :) :) :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Well, you started swinging the lamp Rik_uk3,so...:D
I am a Gypsy by birth. Born in a waggon up in the Beechwoods on the Chiltern Hills in Buckinghamshire during the war. (2nd not 1st :D ) Like the rest of the family Dad was illiterate so was not in the forces but volunteered for the rescue services that worked with the fire Brigade getting people out of bombed buildings. He was listed as an agricultural worker and after "D" Day went back to travelling to the farms he had always worked on throughout Southern England. When I was old enough he would take me with him and I would have to look after the fire when he was burning the 'brashings' when he was hedge laying. I cooked the spuds in the ashes for his break and he would make tea in a billy and put tinned sticky milk in mine. We would have baked spud and raw onion and cheese. My Dad and my older brother both had catapults and we ate Pheasant, Rabbit and even sometimes meat given by the farmer. Always cooked by Mum in the big pot in the evenings back at the waggons. (There was 6 of us in the family.)

Just before I was 10 I was captured by the authorities, Dad was taken to court and fined 10 Guineas or whatever it was in 1953..failing to send kids to school (Education Act 1944)
They stuck me in a kids home and I went to school for the first time at 10 years of age. I escaped a couple of times but lacking the E&E skills at that age, I was recaptured each time and taken back. Definitely no schoolboy camping for me, hiding and sleeping in hedgerows yes, but no camping..:D On leaving school, after training, I went straight to sea.

When the shipping companies started to close down I came ashore and joined the services. But before signing up, I bought a tent and some kit at Silvermans in London, 2 man 'pup' tent £12 10 shillings, and caught the train to Scotland where I camped for 3 weeks out in the hills by a place called Aberfoyle (spelling?) got eaten by midges, nearly poisoned myself with my cooking and had a great time. Caught a National Express coach from Glasgow back to London and was told by other passengers that I smelled like Davy Crockett..:D Signed up and there after all 'camping' was at Her Majesty's expense, until I retired. So I'm a late starter..:lmao: :lmao:

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
back in the day, i used an old brown canvas rucksack marked 'US ARMY' that i don't think had ever been within a mile of a genuine GI, a kitchen can opener, hexi stove and a can of beans. I used to open the beans and cook them in the can on the hexi stove.

that was all..... when I look at all the stuff in my 70 ltr rucksack i wonder how I managed, then I decided that I should really try and get back to basics and got my load down to about 30 ltrs

lesson learned

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
When I started as a kid in the 70`s the kit were a little different than today. We didn`t called it bushcraft nor survival.
We mostly used the clothes worn daily when out in the woods, like jeans, denim jacket and sneakers if it was dry weather, but most of us used Viking wellies (bought my first leather boots in 1984). Some had army boots, and army clothes (members of the national guard usually).
I had an old navy blue cotton anorak that I used in winter (my father used it when he was young). In the mid 80`s I bought a British DPM army jacket (probably influenced by the Falkland war:) ).
If it was raining we used raingear, usually made of a plastic/rubber coated cloth, olive green or blaze orange. In the 80`s we got lighter, thinner varieties made of thin rubberized? nylon, but those really sucked in hard rain (which it usually was).
In winter we used knitted wool hats, wool scarfs, wool socks, wool mittens or padded nylon one (polvott). Some had wool (vadmel) trousers but we also used jeans with wool long johns as a base layer. Usually the same clothes as used in summer with lots of wool added.
We didn’t go on overnight trips in winter as we lacked gear (tents) and avalanches were frequently in the mountains. Winter activities was cross country skiing (wooden skis) and ice fishing.

Sleeping bags was usually Ajungilacs (not winter bags).
I used an old khaki colored canvas one I got from an old man I knew. I don’t know the brand, possibly Gresshoppa. Good bag actually but a little heavy.
I got my first lightweight tent in the early 80`s (A frame) but we mostly stayed under large boulders or plastic tarps when we were out in the mountains.The tent was not wind proof. A friend of mine had 5 German “zeltbahns” which we used a lot.
Some people (adults) actually carried along 4 man ridge tent which weigh about 10 kilos:eek: .
People often left gear hidden in different places (tarps, cooking pots…), usually in a scree, as not to carry the stuff up every time.
I have such storage in the mountains. Under a large boulder there is a gill net, cooking pots, matches, trash bags, coffee and so on. All possibly ruined as I haven’t been there since 1990.

Cooking pots were mostly the same then as now; aluminium trangias and coffee pots.
If we carried stoves it was usually Camping gaz propane/butane stoves or old pressure stoves(Høvik/Optimus). We also used “trangias” but most of us didn’t like them. Too slow and burned to much fuel and in winter it was just as useless as propane/butane.
The knives were a variety of moras, helles, SAKs and saami knives, just as today. A hatchet was often brought along as well. No saws though.
Rucksacks were of external frame type, usually 50-70 litres (some also carried 30-40 liter ones).
My first anatomic ruck was bought in 85-86. A 60 litre DPM nylon ruck with hip belt, made by Wynnster (still have it).
The loads were quite heavy as the fishing was a little different then. We used fishing rods and otter boards but also carried along lots of gill nets and usually an inflatable boat (gill nets are more no go today).

The food was mostly the same then as now.
Of course the freeze dried foods from Dry tech, Mountain house and so on was not available, but I never buy these today either (only use them when I’ve been on a military exercise and get them for free).
We carried loaf of bread, butter, jam, dry soups, pasta, sausages, coffee, bacon and eggs (crushed in a bottle).

The things that have changed most since I began roaming the forests are the clothing and tents. The gore-tex has made rain gear obsolete and the tents are far lighter and cheaper than they were then.

Tor

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Ayy you were lucky,

we used to lay down in middle o" road in a cardboard box, wake up before we went to bed, lick ' road clean and thank, foreman for ' privileged.

Well actually not quite but.

One of my hero's was David Caradine in kung fu (yes sad I know) and I would hitchike off to the coast for the weekend with a skinny little doss bag rolled up in a canvas bag I slung over my shoulder. Used to sleep in old pill boxes which often had rudimentary fireplaces and in out of the way places weren't used as lavatories. Went through a phase of trying to farage with the help of "food for free" but gave up and carried dried food, sardines etc.

Also went camping a lot with mates on motorbikes. Again rolled up cheap sleeping bag laid straight on the floor. I used to carry a big thick polythene sheet which went over the bike and sloped down to the ground and tucked under me as a ground sheet too.

When mates first got karymats we thought they were wusses till we tried them.

Still have my old Karrimore rucksack that has done more than 25 years, backpacked, hitchiked, tied on the back of motorbikes, it even did a lap of the world trade centre on a unicyle. Don't suppose they let folks with big rucksacks up big buildings in New York any more.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Being over 50, my kit largely came from "old clothes" and the army and navy stores. But Blacks of Greenock was the equipment to aspire to. Srangely, I can't remember being that aware of Vango

I had, what we called a Commando framed rucksack, and a Blacks white cotton pup tent thing, with a rubber backed canvas ground sheet. We cooked over a fire with billy's made from syrup tins, and fence wire. But later got a Primus 210 stove which I still use today. At some stage we had some Army mess tins and a Gilwell Canteen

We also had a family Blacks Niger ridge tent that blew down when I was 6 months old. I was decanted to a couple in a nearby caravan still asleep, and returned to the tent the next day when the storm subsided, apparantly still asleep. I wish I could sleep like that now.

We slept in blankets that you had some sort of convoluted folding system to turn them into a compartment that held together like a sleeping bag.

My mum knitted string vests and rag socks (both of which were horrible to wear). Most clothes were just old clothes, but new clothes were bought with camping in mind, with the idea that once they became old clothes they would be suitable for campling.

I was fairly old before I got anything that was proper campling gear. Well by that I mean 13 to 15, but then I had been camping since about 3 months old. The first thing was a proper nylon cagoule, before that I had just used a proofed ex army cotton jkt and an oiled cape.

My prize bit of kit was a Silva 15 compass which cost me 11 shillings in Glasgow when I was 13 . This was my entire holiday spending money and we went through Glasgow going on holiday when I wsn't allowed to buy it. I was however told that if I didn't spend any of my holiday money during the next two weeks, I could buy it on the way back. This I managed to do, and I bought it on the way home, 40 years later its still sat here beside me as I type.

Its rather frightening to think of how much money I have spent on kit since then.

Graham

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I starting off just using some of my dad's old gear, which had been stored in the cupboard for ages:

External frame pack, way too big for me.
A-frame tent with separate ground sheet, worked OK, but weighed a ton.
Old sleeping bag, no idea what rating, but it was apparently a very expensive model when he first bought it.
Knife: the usual suspect - bowie knife, though it did have a more sensible size blade of about 4 inches.
Jacket: No idea what it was, but now I think about it, if I tried to describe the way it looked and performed it would sound for all the world like a ventile smock.

Plus my own gear:

Boots: Doc Martins
Trousers: Old jeans
Top: just lots of layers of everyday cotton t-shirts and jumpers.
Food: Mars bars & tinned soup/baked beans.

I do remember often feeling miserable by the end of the weekend if the weather was wet. I supposed according to today's wisdom I should have died of hypothermia.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Richard this as got the old brain working hard ,but here goes this is what I had when I was 13,in the 70s
2 man canvas tent,no sewn in ground sheet
Wool blankets,no sleeping bag
No rucksack
canvas groundsheet
aluminium billy
knife was a 2nd world war american bowie my dad gave me
no torch,used candles in baked bean tin candle holder,after eating beans.
old army coat,not waterproof
normal clothes eg.jeans,maybe woollen jumper if it was cold.
Always cooked on a fire didnt have a cooker
At the age of 18,some had changed
was using a basha now,had been in armed forces 6 months now
Had a sleeping bag,fairydown one
rucksack,aluminium external frame cant remember name
waterbottle
and army clothing

As for food I was lucky,as I could eat pigeon,rabbit,trout,eels and fresh water crayfish,so only had to take along the sundries,my usual place of stay was about 6 miles from civilisation and next to a river.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Lots of chat about kit, and as I'm a certain 'age' I thought I'd ask other members, perhaps forty years old or above what kit they started out with all those years ago. I'm not saying it was better, in fact I'm postive it was heavier, but I thought it would be interesting to have a walk down memory lane.

So, what was your 'Ye Oldie' kit list from the 60's-70's and 80's? Include typical food/menu if possible

I had a old frame canvas ruck sack (killed your back and was really heavy!)
I had an old gas canister burner from my father and a bic lighter
I had an old bone handle sheath knife (blunt of course)
then I used to fill up the bag with as much spare clothes as I could
old sleeping bag strapped on as an after though and an old litchfield scout tent
first aid kit (1 plaster and 1 paracetamol)
old billy set from milliets I believe
no pad (think thats why I have back troubles now!!)
;)

i think thats it! I used this for may a year camping! I usually made a fire instead of the gas stove could never get anything to boil!!

Oh an always took my old helly hansen fleece top!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE