A question for the Blacksmiths amongst us regarding anvil base.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

I mounted mine the same way as Ged suggested, I stood the anvil on the stump, drew around the foot then removed it and routed the footprint out..

anvil.jpg

EDIT- Forgot to say, I have used it since I took the pic but not very much as I can't get in to it since my shed collapsed and it's contents were jammed in tio the garage :eek:

HAGWE

John :)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yes that's what I am going to do ! Once I get one that is !

Whats the tool in front of the anvil ?

Sorry to hear about your shed.
Hi

I mounted mine the same way as Ged suggested, I stood the anvil on the stump, drew around the foot then removed it and routed the footprint out..

anvil.jpg

EDIT- Forgot to say, I have used it since I took the pic but not very much as I can't get in to it since my shed collapsed and it's contents were jammed in tio the garage :eek:

HAGWE

John :)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Looks like a shingle hatchet, minus a handle to me

Glad you answered that question tagnut as I had no idea what it was!!!

Think I got the hatchet/hammer thingy from the local bootsale years ago!!

Eifion, you'll need some tongs too for holding the workpiece unless you're going to use Mole grips or similar..

carbootystuff7.jpg

The strange hammer type thing is a sett for drawing out hot steel..

Cheers, John :)

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yes John I will need tongs, if all goes well today, it will be a car boot tomorrow to see what tools I can find. I have mole grips that will do for now, I also have a large pair of old pincers somewhere.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Tell you what mate, if you don't get lucky in the next few days send me a pm. I'm in the Wirral which might be a bit of a distance for you to go but I've an anvil going spare that I don't often use....

Might be a tad bigger than what you had in mind though.

image.jpg

I'll be away offshore in a couple of days, but I'll be back in 2-3 weeks. You're welcome to come down for a weekend and bash out a few tools to get you going etc.

all the best
Andy

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Thanks for the kind offer Andy, I may well take you up on that.

The Farming implements & Tools auction was a complete waste of time, no anvils, but the quality of the stuff there was rubbish, they would of been better taking it to the recycling centre rather than an auction house. In fact I am sure there are better things in the skips at the recycling centre.
Got another couple of leads to chase up though.

Tell you what mate, if you don't get lucky in the next few days send me a pm. I'm in the Wirral which might be a bit of a distance for you to go but I've an anvil going spare that I don't often use....

Might be a tad bigger than what you had in mind though.

image.jpg

I'll be away offshore in a couple of days, but I'll be back in 2-3 weeks. You're welcome to come down for a weekend and bash out a few tools to get you going etc.

all the best
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye quite possibly mate. The auctions are very hit and miss. Been to a few myself and one week there will be nothing there. The Newport week it will be over run with good kit.

The same goes for the local scrap yard, but that varies day to day. I've had a mate down the last few days for a forging session and we went to the yard twice, day one got a few odd bits that weren't there five days ago. This morning we came back with heaps of stuff.

But as said, you're welcome to head over and get a days bashing in.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE