A question for the Blacksmiths amongst us regarding anvil base.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I am 95% certain to get my hands on an anvil this weekend so I can try my hand at forging.
Initially I was thinking of making a concrete plinth then putting a tree stump on it to support the anvil, then I thought if I am mixing concrete I could make some shuttering and make a taller plinth that the anvil would sit on directly. I would put some steel mesh & bars inside the concrete to reinforce it, and some bars in to the ground.

The concerns I have about all concrete is that it may crack ?

Another option is a steel stand for the anvil on a concrete plinth.

What would be the best option ??

Thanks
Eifion

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I am sure it would work, and it is unlikely to crack especially if you reinforce it. Not so sure about anchoring it into the ground unless you are 100% sure you now where you want it to be. A big stump is the easiest. Personally I would have the anvil higher than reccomended, which makes it easier for light / delicate work. You can always drag a pallet over and stand on it to effectively lower it for a bit more power.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi Nic
Thanks for reply, I am 99% certain where it is going to be, don't have much choice due to space. It will also be outside so it would be fair weather forging ( which will no doubt be limited & difficult in Wales).
One of my friends is a tree surgeon so a tree stump is probably the way I will go.
Thanks for the advice about the height, I was going to set it fairly low, but I fully understand what you say, it never occurred to me I could stand on something ! So I am glad I asked the question.

I am sure it would work, and it is unlikely to crack especially if you reinforce it. Not so sure about anchoring it into the ground unless you are 100% sure you now where you want it to be. A big stump is the easiest. Personally I would have the anvil higher than reccomended, which makes it easier for light / delicate work. You can always drag a pallet over and stand on it to effectively lower it for a bit more power.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most anvil stands that I've seen are forged or welded, and I could easily fabricate something but I just stand mine on a pallet or two. It's a 400lb anvil and breaking the pallets has never been a problem, but they do eventually rot and need replacing.

If you can get a big enough tree stump and maybe carve a bit out of it to locate the anvil base that would probably be ideal. I'd give the stump a good going over with creosote or Cuprinol or something to stop it rotting.

Concrete does soind like a lot of work, as has been said it would probably be all right if you reinfoced it but I'm pretty sure with some effort you would crack it eventually.

No matter what material, I'd definitely rely on the stability of a wide base rather than tying it to the ground - you never know what's going to change in the future.

If it isn't a big anvil and it isn't out of sight (or maybe even if it is) make sure that it won't get nicked.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
What size is the anvil mate?

A decent log is the way I'd go if you can. Make sure it's flat then put some silicon on the stump before you put the anvil on it. This helps bond the anvil to the stump and reduces the ringing. Then you want to bolt it down as firmly as you can. There's several methods, check out this thread
http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/1085-show-me-your-anvil/

For suggestions on how to mount it and secure it.

All the best
Andy

ps, pics or it didn't happen!

Chatteris

Jan 5, 2010
Peterborough
I was doing a bit of reading on this last week and alot of people are using a container filled with sand. Apparently it softens the noise alot and is as good as a stump. I think it is a little higher maintenance as obviously the sand moves a little but it doesn't rot. Also it means you can adjust height until you find what works best for you.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Don't really know what size mate, it's from a relative, but she is not 100% certain that she wants to sell it ??(don't know why, she is never going to use it ?? Last time I was there I lifted the anvil off the ground by myself, but wouldn't want to carry it too far. I am guessing its around 50-60KG.

P.S. there will be pics when it happens.

What size is the anvil mate?

A decent log is the way I'd go if you can. Make sure it's flat then put some silicon on the stump before you put the anvil on it. This helps bond the anvil to the stump and reduces the ringing. Then you want to bolt it down as firmly as you can. There's several methods, check out this thread
http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/1085-show-me-your-anvil/

For suggestions on how to mount it and secure it.

All the best
Andy

ps, pics or it didn't happen!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
That's a big anvil you have there Ged. I think I will be going down the tree route. I have already seen the stump I want just need an anvil to put on it. I will have it secure or at least extremely difficult to steal.

Most anvil stands that I've seen are forged or welded, and I could easily fabricate something but I just stand mine on a pallet or two. It's a 400lb anvil and breaking the pallets has never been a problem, but they do eventually rot and need replacing.

If you can get a big enough tree stump and maybe carve a bit out of it to locate the anvil base that would probably be ideal. I'd give the stump a good going over with creosote or Cuprinol or something to stop it rotting.

Concrete does soind like a lot of work, as has been said it would probably be all right if you reinfoced it but I'm pretty sure with some effort you would crack it eventually.

No matter what material, I'd definitely rely on the stability of a wide base rather than tying it to the ground - you never know what's going to change in the future.

If it isn't a big anvil and it isn't out of sight (or maybe even if it is) make sure that it won't get nicked.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
The old school way is a long stump buried in the earth. Would you really need a concrete plinth?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Best of luck getting it. It's not uncommon for people to be attached to family heirloom type anvils.

It is more than likely to be a 1cwt anvil. Unless it is really beaten up then do your best to get it. We can worry about the details of it later when you get pics up.

all the best
Andy

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yes that's what I am worried about, her father was a blacksmith and this was his anvil ! It was in very good condition when I last saw it. I believe there is also a forge with bellows and possibly some tools as well in a shed.

Best of luck getting it. It's not uncommon for people to be attached to family heirloom type anvils.

It is more than likely to be a 1cwt anvil. Unless it is really beaten up then do your best to get it. We can worry about the details of it later when you get pics up.

all the best
Andy

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
If you use sleepers then you have to put them end on, if you cut them up and stack them like bricks they will be really spongy.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Ok if the sleepers don't work I know for a fact 7or 10 Newton concrete blocks will Ive used those in the footings of many a tower block of flats you will not break those in a hurry that's for sure.
Or there is another option if you want a concrete plinth is when your mixing your concrete you can add a substance called fibre mix you get it in bags or loose in a bucket it's glass fibre strands like shredded paper I don't think I need to explain how it sets after being wet in concrete but I've used this stuff when rendering swimming pools and is better than fibre glass alone as you get reinforced concrete and fibreglass mixed.

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Oh well ! Just found out I wont be getting the anvil I was after, as she doesn't want to sell it, which is a shame as it is not being used. But it is of sentimental value.
Going to an auction tomorrow for machinery & tools, and I have been told that there are usually anvils there. (it is held once a month). So fingers crossed !

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Oh well ! Just found out I wont be getting the anvil I was after, as she doesn't want to sell it, which is a shame as it is not being used. But it is of sentimental value.
Going to an auction tomorrow for machinery & tools, and I have been told that there are usually anvils there. (it is held once a month). So fingers crossed !
Well if ya get lucky at the auction bud bear in mind the info bellow .
Regards trev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE