A question for city workers ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

appletree_man

This question is for those who work in a city, and or travel daily in cities.

Do you carry any emergency, and survival stuff on a daily basis ? Perhaps a way of starting a fire, whistle, spare torch, knife ? Or do you feel it's an overreaction to carry anything other than the usual phone, wallet, etc ?

Personally, I have a keyring with a whistle, torch, mini compass, matches, and a SAK. I also have a first aid kit, water purification straw, and a disposable FFP3 dust/vaper mask in my bag.
The mask may seem an odd thing, but it may help if i'm caught up in an area affected with dust, or some form of chemical, it may even help with light smoke. It weighs nothing, and could even be used as tinder.

Any thoughts, do you carry anything for city emergencies ?

Interesting question. I usually have some first aid basics, matches and a small (tiny even)blade in my bag somewhere, but I'd never really considered them as city survival gear, just stuff I cart round with me. In the short term of a disaster, I would imagine you could find most things you might need in a city without too much effort, but perhaps not.

Will be interesting to see what others think

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dont know if Cardigan rates as a city...but I always carry 1st aid, waterproofs, spare warm wear, leatherman, mini survival tin etc when I am in an urban setting - and my van always has EVERYTHING in it, from cuddly toy to axe!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I travel into central London most days from Hampshire.

What I carry is around my neck but not carried for being in an urban area specifically.

I have a small firesteel inside an antler papoose which i made myself. Also two small leather pouches, one containing a char tube with tiny piece of flint and an even smaller steel but it gets an ember on the char tube every time. The other pouch contains a small roll of Hemp string that can be unravelled and made into a small ball that takes a spark from the steel everytime. One of the pouches has attached to it a small BCUK keyfob torch.

Used to carry my Leatherman Wave but stopped that as I feel I cannot justify carrying that anymore into the city.

Finally in my bag is my Mountain Leader First Aid kit. Carry this as I train in various locations I always want to guarantee a first aid kit on me.

Probably no need to carry two steels but I like them.

Cheers

George

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I carry - on my keyring at all times - a BCUK led torch, a whistle and a button compass (ok it's useless but it was a gift). I also have a first aid kit in my car and a small SAK in my pocket. I figure I'm really not going to need any fire lighting stuff at work (unless the boss really upsets me).

I usually have a bag full of bushcrafty stuff in my car as I am 5 mins walking away from the great outdoors and often go walking at lunchtime. I live by he rule that if you go out walking for any length of time ensure you have enough with you to see you through the night.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I pretty much always carry a FAK, waterproofs (hey, it's Scotland remember), a small pocket knife, and a cigarette lighter (I smoke). Oh, and there's a whistle on my keyring... Not exactly "survival" gear - more just daily necessities.

B

Banjobill

I commute 50 miles into the Sprawl that is the West Midlands every day. I have had three occasions in the last two years where I have been stranded overnight, so I carry a BOB in the car containing firstaid kit, fire starting kit, cooking kit (hex stove, mess tin and dried food), water, folding shovel, tarp & paracord. I also have a small blanket on the backseat.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I carry my BoB a sleeping bag, a small amount of wood for the Hobo, meths for my cooker' two tarps and two boxed rat packs, luckly I have a car parking space near to where I work.
At least one person is glad that I am so AR about safety, some Hooray Henry rolled his sports car in to a nearby drainage ditch, he ended upside down with his seatbelt jammed on, my clipper cut the webbing like it was paper. if just for that I vowed never to be without again.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
My lady goes to Canary Wharf at least once a week - she avoided going there full time - and I make her take some bits. They include: Leatherman micra; LED Torch; first aid kit; space blanket; dust/vapour mask; A4 colour photocopy of London map . It all fits in a little ziplock bag in the corner of her briefcase.

We also have a couple of RV's arranged that she can get to and that I can scoot in to on my M/cycle. Paranoid? - Nah, it's called planning, why leave her down there when I can extract her in a couple of hours.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
there's a fine line between preparedness and bulk

we can prepare for stuff all day but if its too bulky then for me its no point

i generally carry a small PSK. I carry it in my bag (plus when i'm out bushcrafting), along with Berghaus Paclite jacket, umbrella, wallet, keys, water, pens, spork, tissues, Vic Huntsman etc

In the PSK I carry:
Paracetamol
Rubber Bands
Sewing Kit (from a hotel)
Safety Pins
Paper clips
2 £1 coins
Mini Bic lighter
Leatherman Squirt P4 (pliers, blade, awl, metal file, screwdrivers, bottle opener)
Victorinox Manager (blade, scissors, screwdrivers, bottle opener, tweezers, pen)
Whistle
Coin cell LED torch
Cotton Wool
Plasters
Paper

This is more of an urban kit than a S*H*T*F survival tin. I've used quite a few bits, its really useful. Its a battery holder for CR2 batteries and is about 4 inches x 2.5 inches by 1 inch.

On my keyring I carry a Leatherman Squirt P4, an Atwood Keychain Prybaby and an ArcP

Plus on my person I carry a Millermod Arc, a Bullet Space Pen and a legal edc knife (one of large choice!)

[actually, sounds like i carry quite a lot!]

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
No.

I usually have an pen knife on me. I don't keep anything specially in the cars except 1 is full of off roading gear and the other (daily drive) has a sac full of outdoor gear for MRT call outs when I'm not at home.

Really don't see the need for Emergincy bags, bug out bags or what ever. But there again if it all goes pair shaped and i head for the woods I'll only end up at my house.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I tend to travel light - the bare essentials really - when I do my daily rail commute into Central London. Just a small light and whistle on my key ring, a small tarp, with my trusty Vango Demon Sleeping bag, a thermarest kipmat, my trusty SAK, my favourite Petzl head torch, my billhook, a gortex bivvybag, a couple of 24hour ratpacks, my firesteel (with a back-up set of flint & steel as well) together with a selection of tinder and charcloth, a map of the area together with my GPS and a silva compass, a FAK and accompanying ambulance (crew included), my library of Bushcraft books and teepee, my Magikelly-Special hammock & mozzienet combo; and a bar of Kendle Mintcake.

As I said, just the bare essentials; and it all fits into 20ltr backpack.

Honest.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Mabey it's just me but I can't see the point in carrying around this kind of stuff in London? Perhaps a first-aid kit stashed in my laptop case somewhere, but I'm never really in need of strike-a-lite firestarting, cordage or leatherman tools in starbucks.. I would probally pack the stuff into the car, as it makes more sense as you can actually get places where there are no people, heat, etc. But in a major city it's a bit pointless I think..

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I tend to travel light - the bare essentials really - when I do my daily rail commute into Central London. Just a small light and whistle on my key ring, a small tarp, with my trusty Vango Demon Sleeping bag, a thermarest kipmat, my trusty SAK, my favourite Petzl head torch, my billhook, a gortex bivvybag, a couple of 24hour ratpacks, my firesteel (with a back-up set of flint & steel as well) together with a selection of tinder and charcloth, a map of the area together with my GPS and a silva compass, a FAK and accompanying ambulance (crew included), my library of Bushcraft books and teepee, my Magikelly-Special hammock & mozzienet combo; and a bar of Kendle Mintcake.

As I said, just the bare essentials; and it all fits into 20ltr backpack.

Honest.

Seriously????

It was actually the kendal mint cake that gave it away.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I carry my keys so I can always get back in my house so I've never worried too much
about any emergencies. Obviously I try and have my season ticket and some cash
on me but in an emergency emergency I could probably walk home although it's about
nine miles from where I work to where I live so I'd be a bit grumpy when I got back.

Failing that my parents live much nearer to where I work than I do so I could go that way
if there was a major problem with crossing the river.

On the day of the London bombing I walked to the river and took a ferry home which was
pretty straightforward - I know London pretty well so reckon I could probably find a way
back unless everything was security-tape blocked. I've got about 20 routes to and
from work sussed although they rely on normal conditions with buses or trains and
no roadblocks! I was glad on the day that I'd explored London reasonably well in the past.

Of course now you have me worried... :D

I commute around 30 miles although exceptionally today it was 315 miles.

My normal route through /around the city would have me carry

Waterproof jkt,
Decent footwear(preferably light, goretex and glass/needle proof soles!
Leatherman
Meds/small first aid
Secret money stash/pin card
Dog lead - leather handle with metal chain (in pocket) :tapedshut
Dog biscuits;)

When in the car esp in winter its different...

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
City folk eh, what are they like :D
I was in a city once... ;)
Hehe, I need the bone juddering shake of my windows rattling with lorries thundering
past and the constant drone of aircraft engines to get a good night's sleep :D

It also helps to have some drunk girl shrieking at the bus stop around 2am to remind
me how lucky I am :cool:

There are far too many people in London but I don't think I could be without it - there
are many wonderful things going on and because it evolved rather than was planned
there are plenty of peculiar places to explore.

I might keep a small map with me now, and some mint cake :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE