A question for city workers ?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Emergency and survival:-

There are those for whom the steaming hot cup of coffee carried onto the bus in a thermal mug is emergency survival.

I have a bit of a paradox - being the minimalist I thought that maybe my spare shoe lace was the ultimate in minimal but useful bit of kit. However, upon reflection, I do now recall that a lug my medical bag to and from work each day. (Mostly diagnostic, and little about treatment)

As I cycle in all weathers about 3-4 miles each way some wet weather gear is the norm.

Then there is the phone, so long as I have the instruction manual close by.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I have a screwdriver for my glasses on my keyring, does that count? No good being in a survival situation and unable to see eh? :D

Personally, I don't carry anything that could really be construed as survival related. I just don't see the need. I've always got my zippo on my, usually a deck of cards (I can show off with zippo tricks, but when that's low on gas I always have card flourishes to tide me over... ;) ), my house keys and cell but they're the only constants. I've considered carrying a UK-legal knife, but most people are scared enough of me as it is, I don't need the extra attention..

Just out of curiosity, why carry firestarting kit in an urban setting? I can understand a mask/respirator of some sort (what with this being the age of chemical weapons and terror attacks) and penknife, bandages and the like, but if you were, say, stuck in a caved-in subway, you don't want to start a fire anyway - if there was a leaking gas mains you'd be done pretty quick, and if you don't have a constant supply of oxygen you don't want to waste it with a fire. I just can't see why you'd need to start a fire in the city...

ganstey

Settler
I drive to/from work, and its pretty much urban all the way, so I don't feel the need to carry a 'survival' kit with me. What I do keep in the car is a selection of car related emergency stuff (jump leads, fuel can etc.) and a FAK. I went through a phase of being first on scene at RTAs, but thankfully that seems to have passed now.

When I go out for the day, or on holiday I carry a Lowepro belt pouch (in my rucksack/shoulder bag) which doubles as a FAK and a tool kit. It contains; plasters, antiseptic wipes, 2x medium sterile dressing, triangular bandage, safety pins, SAK, resus face mask, latex gloves, and tube of Witch Doctor. Its more of a running repairs kit than a trauma kit.

I'm currently putting together a more serious kit that will go in the trauma pouch on my PLCE belt for when I'm down in the woods. I'm still pondering on what the contents should be.

I used to wear my Leatherman Surge on my belt all the time, until I discovered it was now illegal to carry it in a public place without good reason :aargh4: So now that's also on my PLCE belt.

The only time I've ever got stuck and thought I might have to stay overnight, was when the car got stuck down in the wood. However, once I'd stopped panicking, I walked down to the local farm and the farmer pulled me out with his tractor.

G

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not for me, the only survival situation I`m likely to encounter at work is a broken coffee machine or no bog roll (usually on Mondays for some reason ???)

Therefore its just car keys, laptop, wallet, change for coffee machine and mobile phone.

My commute is a 50 mile round trip of which 95% is motorway. I could probably walk home should I need to in a couple of hours.

My boot contains PPE gear, hard hat, hi-vis vest & coat and firlined rigger boots for visiting greenfield new build sites. The boots came in handy when I got stuck in snow last year whilst visiting a relative in Kent. Not much chance of snow up here in Yorkshire anymore though.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I did think about this after the 7/7 bombings in London. At the time I worked close to Aldgate and my route (walking that day) back to the station took me close to the remains the bus which was opened up like an obscene flower.

After reading the descriptions of the events down in the tunnels I was considering some kit including light sticks. I even considered some kind of full face filtering mask but that seemed over the top (I'll be disgruntled if I ever find myself in that situation and didn't bother of course). An escape hammer for train windows might be a good idea though.

Cheers,
Steve

A

appletree_man

Interesting replies folks, thanks.

The thing which made me carry a dust mask was seeing those poor people on 9/11, coughing, & struggling to breathe in the streets.
Not saying that would ever happen here, but even accidental explosions & accidents could cause a lot of dust. The mask I carry is a small fold flat disposable FFP3, they cost about £3 - £5 each. It's not perfect, but it should keep the worst of the muck out of my lungs. However it doesn't protect the eyes.

By the way, it has to be at least FFP3, the really cheap pressed paper dust masks aren't enough.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I lived in london, the IRA were planting match box bombs and had a liking for daily false alarms. I took to cycling to school because it was more realible. I used a particle mask to cycle from north london to west london on daily bases. Considering during a tube shut down you can end up walking for hours through some very poor air quality I don't think having some charcoal between you and that lovely city air is a bad idea.

The thing is I believe that terrorists want to mess up your life to get attention so I really I make real point of not letting them. Once you take to carrying full BOB to work, they have made their daft point and made you scared. In situtions where walking home isn't a option obviously other plans would need to made. I don't live in london so I dont how often the current problem causes shut downs.

If I'm going over the M62 or the peaks in december the car has a brew kit and warm blanket incase it gets snowed up. Generally the car has a silver blanket, knife with some paracord, FAK and a standard car blanket. So I make plans for what is likely not what is not.

A

appletree_man

My own feelings are I carry the stuff for 5% possible terrorist attack, 95% everything else.
The blackouts in the USA a few years back proved it's handy to have some bits & pieces with you. Many people without cars were stranded in the city until the trains were running again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE