A question about carrying bush knives in 'public'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
It occurred to me when I was looking at some of the lovely leather sheaths made by forum members that, if I was to carry my knife in one in public - such as on my way to my local woods - I would surely attract the attention of the authorities.
Therefore, while there are some lovely pieces of leatherwork on this forum, is there really any point in my either buying or trying to make something that isn't really going to see the light of day.
Or do I have it completely wrong?
I'd be interested to hear members' views on the issue of carrying bushcraft knives while out and about.
Where I stay, on the south side of Glasgow, carrying a 4inch blade in public would be like a red rag to a bull for some of the local 'characters'!
All the best,
Steve

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
While it is legal to carry a knife on your hip if you have a reasonable excuse, unfortunately it's a lot more hassel than it's worth!

I have a lovely leather sheath for my F1 and a matching DC3 stone and firesteel pouch off Dougster. It lives in my pack until I get to the woods. But then I don't mind as it is for my enjoyment and not something to show off to joe public.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If it's a bush knife why would you want to carry it at all unless you're in the woods?
You can carry any knife anywhere as long as you have a good reason,walking about with a knife on your belt to show off the sheath is not a good reason.
Even when I'm in the woods I don't carry my knife on my belt , it comes out of my pack to be used and then put back.
At home I have a variety of kitchen knives in their own sheaths ,when cooking I don't hang them on my belt and when going to a different room just in case I may need them so I can't see the need to do the same in the outdoors.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
On the way to the woods I place it in my pack, in the woods its either in my pocket or on my belt. I like to keep it on my belt/in my pocket for easy access. My pack may be 15-20 or more meters away from me when I need it. If you have anice sheath theres no reason not to wear it on a belt with a long coat or jacket to "hide" it from public view.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What situation could you possibly be in that you need a knife right now and couldn't have forseen that you'd need it?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just put it on when you get to your woods.

I'm luckier in that I'm in the country but always try and remove the knife from sheath and leave in car if running into the village store etc.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You're not allowed to carry (or use) a fixed blade knife in a public place without a justifiable reason. When on private land you can do as you please, including wearing it on your belt...............keep it in your rucksack until you reach your destination & if you are unlucky enough to be stopped & searched by the bill on the way, explain to them the situation, be polite & it's doubtful they will take the mater any further.
Remember these knives are not illegal ( only carrying them in a public place & in particuar on full view) but we don't really need to flaunt them while walking through the streets or across local parks now do we ? ;)

Things have certainly changed, back in the early 80's I used to go backpacking with a 6 inch bladed sheath knife on my belt & a .22 air rifle hanging from the rucksack frame( it had to be in a rifle case in public though)........& was perfectly legal.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I am at home the knives - in their sheaths -are hung up to view as ornaments :)
On site when doing the bushy bit the knives are on my belt in full view ... but then the sites I use tend not to have many other users than bushcrafters....

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
What situation could you possibly be in that you need a knife right now and couldn't have forseen that you'd need it?

For me, only when paddling.

I only ever wear the knife on the belt when paddling, stalking, in pretty remote wooded country, or at meets.

When paddling, you might well need the knife in a hurry in case of entanglement. When stalking, you usually have no rucksack, and if it's in a pocket you could loose it crawling through the heather.

If I was backpacking in the non-wooded parts of the Cairngorms, say, I wouldn't even bother with a fixed blade knife - there's no real need for it, and you are quite likely to run across other hikers who may feel alarmed.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Not surprised, it is a heavy piece of kit that home brewed thingey.
I was carrying three knives, non of them got in the way.
I liked the leather sheath stamping mind you, I have something similar awaiting to be made into something other than a handbag.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
While it is legal to carry a knife on your hip if you have a reasonable excuse, unfortunately it's a lot more hassel than it's worth!

I have a lovely leather sheath for my F1 and a matching DC3 stone and firesteel pouch off Dougster. It lives in my pack until I get to the woods. But then I don't mind as it is for my enjoyment and not something to show off to joe public.

This kind of echoes the way I was thinking; thanks for all your thoughts on the subject.
There's a big deal in the west of Scotland about "blade culture", which makes it a difficult subject for those of us who only wish to have a knife for legitimate bushcraft/craft reasons.
I was prompted to ask the question because I have a Mora Clipper with one of those horrible green plastic sheaths and was thinking about either making or buying a leather one for it.
I guess I'll go ahead and try to make one, and keep it in my pack until I get to the woods.
Steve

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
simple solution is to put it in your bag. carrying knives is often over fussed about, ive often been into petrol stations with my knife on my belt, accidentaly, no one batters an eyelid, although i suppose it depends on the area.

your better off not trying to find agro by putting it out of sight in your pack until you can get to the woods.

if you were to walk around birmingham town cebtre without a towel on your head you would properbly get attacted by the local plod in full angry mode as they do over react at the best of times. but saying that my old gun shop used to be in the town centre and many times i have walked into and out of town with a riffle bag and have only got stopped once and that was purely because an armed policeman stopped me and wanted to play with our new toy, it was this guy who also pointed out that the trigger lock i had was rubbish and told me where to buy the ones he uses, great bloke.

can i also just point out no , outragous this as well the younger you are the more chances of getting stopped and searched, i am a fourty year old bold fart and can get away with pretty much any thing where as the younger members of my family. ie my son was arrested and charged with carring an offence weapon last year, he crime was walking back from the local hardware store for his dad with a wooden beech mallet and a metal lump hammer and not having it in a bag ( lump hammer would rip bag, carry in hands instead!!!!!!!!!)

person seen with belted knief would warrent armed police, pepper sprays and tazers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE